SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Everything with the AmbiqSuite SDK tools and software are welcome here.
By VA3SU
I seam to have a path error that I can't solve.

Below is the result of trying to compile, it can't find the header file(s):

Home@MAIN-PC MINGW64 /g/AmbiqSuite-Rel2.0.0/AmbiqSuite-Rel2.0.0/boards/SparkFun_Apollo3_AmbiqSuite_BSPs/redboard_artemis/examples/blinky/gcc
$ ls -l
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 1 Home 197121 0 Jan 27 14:33 bin/
-rw-r--r-- 1 Home 197121 11739 Jan 28 08:43 Makefile

Home@MAIN-PC MINGW64 /g/AmbiqSuite-Rel2.0.0/AmbiqSuite-Rel2.0.0/boards/SparkFun_Apollo3_AmbiqSuite_BSPs/redboard_artemis/examples/blinky/gcc
$ make bootload
Makefile:134: warning: you have not defined COMMONPATH so will continue assuming that the COMMON root is at ../../../../common
Makefile:142: warning: you have not defined BOARDPATH so will continue assuming that the BOARD root is at ../../..
Makefile:150: warning: you have not defined PROJECTPATH so will continue assuming that the PROJECT root is at ..
Compiling gcc ../../../../common/examples/blinky/main.c
../../../../common/examples/blinky/main.c:32:10: fatal error: am_mcu_apollo.h: No such file or directory
32 | #include "am_mcu_apollo.h"
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make: *** [Makefile:309: bin/main.o] Error 1

$
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By VA3SU
I should have added that I am following the Sparkfun tutorial "Using SparkFun Edge Board with Ambiq Apollo3 SDK" as a guide.
By liquid.soulder
Alright, looks like you are off to a decent start. Usually when the "am_mcu_apollo.h" header can't be found it is a problem with the definition of SDKPATH.

I notice that your output is *not* giving a warning about SDKPATH, which means that it exists already as an environment variable (most likely). You should try "echo $SDKPATH" on your bash shell to see if it is already defined. If it is defined, and it is not the path (absolute or relative from '/g/AmbiqSuite-Rel2.0.0/AmbiqSuite-Rel2.0.0/boards/SparkFun_Apollo3_AmbiqSuite_BSPs/redboard_artemis/examples/blinky/gcc') then that would cause your errors.

First I would recommend removing the erroneous SDKPATH variable, if you can. If you cannot because it is used for something else you can try passing it in during the build command (e.g. make bootload SDKPATH=path/to/AmbiqSuiteSDK)

Finally, I would recommend trying out our latest tools for working with Artemis - they are designed around use of a container (using Docker) so that everyone gets an identical working environment (e.g. this sort of situation doesn't arise where your environment variables are different than mine)

You can check that out here: https://github.com/sparkfun/artemis_dev_platform

The README has a getting started section - we just haven't yet finished documentation on the main SF website. This is the tool I use for all my work.
By VA3SU
Thanks for the pointers Liquid. I'm getting this:

when I try "echo $SDKPATH" I get no response other than this:

Home@MAIN-PC MINGW64 /g/AmbiqSuite-Rel2.0.0/AmbiqSuite-Rel2.0.0/boards/boards_sfe/redboard_artemis/examples/blinky/gcc
$ echo $SDKPATH

Home@MAIN-PC MINGW64 /g/AmbiqSuite-Rel2.0.0/AmbiqSuite-Rel2.0.0/boards/boards_sfe/redboard_artemis/examples/blinky/gcc
$

Then when I set the path I get a bit farther using :

$ make bootload SDKPATH=g:/AmbiqSuite-Rel2.0.0/AmbiqSuite-Rel2.0.0
Makefile:134: warning: you have not defined COMMONPATH so will continue assuming that the COMMON root is at ../../../../common
Makefile:142: warning: you have not defined BOARDPATH so will continue assuming that the BOARD root is at ../../..
Makefile:150: warning: you have not defined PROJECTPATH so will continue assuming that the PROJECT root is at ..
make: *** No rule to make target 'bin/main.o', needed by 'bin/blinky_svl.axf'. Stop.

$
By KHE
You're gonna hate me...just loaded blinky on Edge2 and Nano...both worked. Attached blinky makefile from my nano directory....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By VA3SU
Glad you are able to get it to work Kerry I'm having a heck of a time.

BTW here is a shot of the board we are developing with the Artemis module...
IMG_4678.JPG
By liquid.soulder
VA3SU and KHE - First of all I would like to start by letting you know that I just updated the BSPs repo to use a new method of handling examples. Previously each board had a copy of a the makefile for each example - quite WET. Now the makefiles for most examples (e.g. blinky) is *only* located in boards_sfe/common/examples/{example}/gcc. The way to use it is now to either:

a) provide BOARD on the make command
Code: Select all
cd boards_sfe/common/examples/blinky/gcc
make BOARD=redboard_artemis bootload
b) provide BOARDPATH on the make command
cd boards_sfe/common/examples/blinky/gcc
make BOARDPATH=../some/path/to/custom/board/dir bootload
(useful when you want a non-sparkfun BSP. 'board/dir' should contain the 'bsp' directory)

Alright so those changes alone probably won't solve your problem, VA3SU. There is another factor that might be coming into play. Sometimes there was some kind of miscommunication about the configured build directory 'example/gcc/bin' that I never quite pinned down. I found that either running 'make clean' or deleting the 'bin' directory or creating an empty 'bin' directory would help. Obviously not a good solution.

The latest changes to the BSPs repo also include changes to how the 'clean' command works. No longer does it try to recursively remove the entire 'bin' directory. I think this might help. So please give the latest a try and tell us how it goes.

P.s. we are now using AmbiqSuite SDK Release 2.2.0 . I don't think there will be problems with Blinky but the BLE example (ble_freertos_tag) definitely depends on 2.2.0 FYI
By VA3SU
Hello Liquid
Some major progress here, thanks for your work. I updated to AmbiqSuite SDK Release 2.2.0 and used the method you just suggested to install the examples. As you can see below I'm now able to compile! The last step is uploading and I'm getting a missing file, I think it's trying to tell me that "blinky_svl.bin" can't be found but it's in the bin folder with the current time/date...

Also, could you please give me the exact syntax to "clean" this folder?

Here are my results:
Home@MAIN-PC MINGW64 /g/Ambiq/AmbiqSuiteSDK/boards_sfe/common/examples/blinky/gcc ((9c31f07...))
$ make BOARD=redboard_artemis bootload
Makefile:112: Using BOARD=redboard_artemis at ../../../../redboard_artemis
Makefile:121: warning: you have not defined PYTHON3. assuming it is accessible by 'python3'
Makefile:125: defaulting to 115200 baud for ASB
Makefile:129: defaulting to 921600 baud for SVL
Makefile:134: warning: you have not defined SDKPATH so will continue assuming that the SDK root is at ../../../../..
Makefile:142: warning: you have not defined COMMONPATH so will continue assuming that the COMMON root is at ../../../../common
Makefile:163: warning: you have not defined PROJECTPATH so will continue assuming that the PROJECT root is at ../../../../common/examples/blinky
Makefile:170: CONFIG=../../../../common/examples/blinky/gcc/redboard_artemis/bin
Compiling gcc ../../../../common/examples/blinky/main.c
Compiling gcc ../../../../common/tools_sfe/templates/startup_gcc.c
Compiling gcc ../../../../../utils/am_util_delay.c
Compiling gcc ../../../../../utils/am_util_faultisr.c
Compiling gcc ../../../../../utils/am_util_stdio.c
Compiling gcc ../../../../../devices/am_devices_led.c
Linking gcc ../../../../common/examples/blinky/gcc/redboard_artemis/bin/blinky_svl.axf with script ../../../../common/tools_sfe/templates/asb_svl_linker.ld
Copying gcc ../../../../common/examples/blinky/gcc/redboard_artemis/bin/blinky_svl.bin...
python3 ../../../../common/tools_sfe/artemis/artemis_svl.py 67 -f ../../../../common/examples/blinky/gcc/redboard_artemis/bin/blinky_svl.bin -b 921600 -v
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, python3 ../../../../common/tools_sfe/artemis/artemis_svl.py 67 -f ../../../../common/examples/blinky/gcc/redboard_artemis/bin/blinky_svl.bin -b 921600 -v, ...) failed.
make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
make: *** [Makefile:373: bootload_svl] Error 2

Home@MAIN-PC MINGW64 /g/Ambiq/AmbiqSuiteSDK/boards_sfe/common/examples/blinky/gcc ((9c31f07...))
$ ^C

$ ^C

$

Regards,
Kevin
By liquid.soulder
Kevin, I'm curious if this error message:
python3 ../../../../common/tools_sfe/artemis/artemis_svl.py 67 -f ../../../../common/examples/blinky/gcc/redboard_artemis/bin/blinky_svl.bin -b 921600 -v
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, python3 ../../../../common/tools_sfe/artemis/artemis_svl.py 67 -f ../../../../common/examples/blinky/gcc/redboard_artemis/bin/blinky_svl.bin -b 921600 -v, ...) failed.
make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
might actually mean that Make can't find 'python3'

Right now the makefiles are set up to assume that you can access the Python3 program by 'python3' on the command line. This is admittedly a bit non-standard. Here is a solution that might be worth a shot for you:

1. Edit the makefiles to suit your system

This line near the beginning of the build shows the assumption.
Makefile:121: warning: you have not defined PYTHON3. assuming it is accessible by 'python3'
You should be able to provide an alternate command to access Python3.x on the make line like so:
make BOARD=redboard_artemis PYTHON3={however you would usually call python3 here} bootload
It may be possible, in the future, to eliminate the need for this option. Perhaps I could provide executable versions of the bootloaders for the different hosts (mac, linux, windows) and guess the right one to use.

Please let me know if that helps!
By liquid.soulder
Or as another option you could try to call the Python script (artemis_svl.py) manually and provide the proper arguments (-f path/to/bin/file.bin -b baud_rate (921600, 115200, etc) and COMPORT)

By the way.... the makefiles will also assume COM4. I will make a note of that in the getting started docs. To provide another COM PORT (either Windows or *nix style) do something like:
make BOARD={baord} PYTHON3={python3} COM_PORT={port (e.g. COM67 or /dev/ttyXXXX)}
(though I don't see the warning message 'warning: you have not defined COM_PORT. Assuming it is COM4' in your output so maybe you have 'COM_PORT' defined as an environment variable already?
By VA3SU
Liquid,
Thanks for the reminder, I had renamed Python3 to Python so when I put it back I get another step farther! Now there is a serial issue... (I do have the com port set correctly, 67)

$ make BOARD=redboard_artemis bootload
Makefile:112: Using BOARD=redboard_artemis at ../../../../redboard_artemis
Makefile:125: defaulting to 115200 baud for ASB
Makefile:129: defaulting to 921600 baud for SVL
Makefile:134: warning: you have not defined SDKPATH so will continue assuming that the SDK root is at ../../../../..
Makefile:142: warning: you have not defined COMMONPATH so will continue assuming that the COMMON root is at ../../../../common
Makefile:163: warning: you have not defined PROJECTPATH so will continue assuming that the PROJECT root is at ../../../../common/examples/blinky
Makefile:170: CONFIG=../../../../common/examples/blinky/gcc/redboard_artemis/bin
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "../../../../common/tools_sfe/artemis/artemis_svl.py", line 37, in <module>
import serial
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'serial'
make: *** [Makefile:373: bootload_svl] Error 1

$
By VA3SU
Thanks for all your help Liquid. I am now able to program the Artemis via this method.

Regards,
Kevin
By Zoe333
As pointed, your error message image is not really too clear so for the future you might want to copy-paste as text the error message.

I reproduced your issue in my end and the root cause is just simple to get, your c file extension cannot be with a capital letter (C), as the IDE will not detect it as the C source file and will not compile it. That's why you get undefined reference error, the function is not compiled so it cannot be linked.

Kind Regards,
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum