SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

What are we doing right with Artemis? What are we doing wrong? Let us know here!
By RSYOUNG
Hi,

This may seem blatantly obvious, but I wish Sparkfun provided something dirt simple, as a Artemis option, to use a standard iron and solder to a custom PCB.

Wouldn't need to be PTH necessarily, but perhaps surface mount, yet easy to use?

I would be happy to pay a couple of dollars more, if I was sure I could fabricate successfully.

Best,

Randy

R.
By liquid.soulder
I understand the apprehension of soldering SMD parts using solder paste but I must say that once you try and develop that skill you will probably enjoy it a lot. For me it is the surface tension. That little aspect of physics makes it possible for me to solder things much smaller than I could ever do "by hand" with an iron.

You will probably want some equipment, though.
- Hotness source (toaster oven, heat gun, or smd rework tool (here's the one I use at work: https://smile.amazon.com/Tek-Motion-Dis ... ast_slp_dp))
- Solder paste - I like to get the kind that comes in a syringe b/c it helps application (at least until you graduate to using stencils)
- An x-acto knife to clean up applied solder.

With just those tools you can solder all but the most difficult SMD parts. If you want even better results you might try:
- Flux in a syringe-tipped bottle
- A griddle with sand to evenly heat the bottom of your PCB (I use this for large/difficult boards when I only have a hot air gun - it helps pre-heat the entire board)
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum