SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Open source ARM Debugger
By linuxguy
I can't get Windows XP to installed the drivers for my new JTAG USB OCD Tiny. It always says it can't install the hardware because it can not find the software. I have tried to install the drivers from the latest OpenOCD release. I am trying to get all this working with the latest Yagarto Eclipse IDE, GCC, and Tools releases per Jim Lynche's Rev C tutorial.

Any ideas how to fix this?

8-Dale
By dshuman
linuxguy wrote:I can't get Windows XP to installed the drivers for my new JTAG USB OCD Tiny. It always says it can't install the hardware because it can not find the software. I have tried to install the drivers from the latest OpenOCD release. I am trying to get all this working with the latest Yagarto Eclipse IDE, GCC, and Tools releases per Jim Lynche's Rev C tutorial.

Any ideas how to fix this?

8-Dale
If you used the YAGARTO install, the YAGARTO standard install path for the drivers is:

Program Files/openocd/driver/arm_usb_ocd

Just point the Windows installer there when it detects your new USB hardware
By linuxguy
dshuman wrote:If you used the YAGARTO install, the YAGARTO standard install path for the drivers is:

Program Files/openocd/driver/arm_usb_ocd

Just point the Windows installer there when it detects your new USB hardware
I do not install stuff to drive C: - the only thing there is Windows XP. I have tried many times to install the drivers from the OpenOCD folder, with the results I posted. It does not work for me.

8-Dale
By dshuman
linuxguy wrote: I do not install stuff to drive C: - the only thing there is Windows XP. I have tried many times to install the drivers from the OpenOCD folder, with the results I posted. It does not work for me.

8-Dale
Don't recall anything being said about C:. What I mentioned was the standard install path for the YAGARTO OpenOCD installation. You can put that wherever you want. I don't use that path myself either. However, if you look at the contents of the .INF files that are used to install the drivers you will see that they will be copied into whatever directory the Windows system is in, into the \System32\Drivers directory, so that path will need to available for the install. If you need assistance with an unusual installation you may need to contact Future Technology Devices International Ltd., since their copyright notice is in the installer .INF files.

--Dave
By linuxguy
dshuman wrote:Windows system is in, into the \System32\Drivers directory, so that path will need to available for the install.
The path is available for installations.
dshuman wrote:If you need assistance with an unusual installation you may need to contact Future Technology Devices International Ltd., since their copyright notice is in the installer .INF files.
I do not have an unusual installation. I am thinking I have a Windows XP problem. There seems to be an issue with a Bluetooth driver now also.

8-Dale
By dshuman
linuxguy wrote: I am thinking I have a Windows XP problem. There seems to be an issue with a Bluetooth driver now also.

8-Dale
Could be, I have run across problems with Bluetooth drivers and USB drivers on some other folks machines that I have worked on.

good luck!

--Dave
By linuxguy
Windows keeps saying it can't find the necessary software in E:\Devel\OpenOCD\driver\arm_usb_ocd which is where I installed OpenOCD. Does my JTAG USB OCD Tiny need different drivers? If so, where do I get the drivers for it? I think I am now very close to having a working development environment for my LPC2148 Header Board.

8-Dale
By dshuman
linuxguy wrote:Windows keeps saying it can't find the necessary software in E:\Devel\OpenOCD\driver\arm_usb_ocd which is where I installed OpenOCD. Does my JTAG USB OCD Tiny need different drivers? If so, where do I get the drivers for it? I think I am now very close to having a working development environment for my LPC2148 Header Board.

8-Dale
I do not use the tiny, as I am using the ARM_USB_OCD that includes the serial port and power supply. However, I *believe* that they are both based on the same FT2232 chip. One thing that you could try in the Windows Explorer is to right click on ftd2xx.inf and then select the "install" action. There are two other install .INF files in driver directory, but I think that they are only needed for the serial port function of ARM_USB_OCD.

--Dave
By linuxguy
dshuman wrote:I do not use the tiny, as I am using the ARM_USB_OCD that includes the serial port and power supply. However, I *believe* that they are both based on the same FT2232 chip.
I would have bought the more expensive unit, but they were out of stock. Even my JTAG USB OCD Tiny is out of stock now, so both must be very popular.
dshuman wrote:One thing that you could try in the Windows Explorer is to right click on ftd2xx.inf and then select the "install" action. There are two other install .INF files in driver directory, but I think that they are only needed for the serial port function of ARM_USB_OCD.
I did try that again, and Windows did copy some files. However, it still says it can not find the necessary software for my JTAG USB OCD Tiny. I am at a loss for what to do, and I am so close to having everything working with the Macraigor versions of everything. I am not about to spend $250.00 on their USB Wiggler though.

8-Dale
By dshuman
linuxguy wrote:
dshuman wrote:One thing that you could try in the Windows Explorer is to right click on ftd2xx.inf and then select the "install" action. There are two other install .INF files in driver directory, but I think that they are only needed for the serial port function of ARM_USB_OCD.
I did try that again, and Windows did copy some files. However, it still says it can not find the necessary software for my JTAG USB OCD Tiny. I am at a loss for what to do, and I am so close to having everything working with the Macraigor versions of everything. I am not about to spend $250.00 on their USB Wiggler though.

8-Dale
Your problem certainly is an interesting puzzle, but I am just about out of ideas. I just plugged in my ARM_USB_OCD into a USB socket to see what the Windows Device Manager reports. It reports the JTAG component as "Olimex OpenOCD JTAG Interface". If you can see that description in the Device Manager, then maybe it would be worth a try to see if OpenOCD can use it, even though Windows reports not finding all the install files??? Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in, because that was probably my last piece of information.

--Dave
By linuxguy
dshuman wrote:Your problem certainly is an interesting puzzle, but I am just about out of ideas. I just plugged in my ARM_USB_OCD into a USB socket to see what the Windows Device Manager reports. It reports the JTAG component as "Olimex OpenOCD JTAG Interface".
Mine shows in Device Manager as "Olimex OpenOCD JTAG TINY" but OpenOCD still can not use it due to some apparent problem with drivers.

I am getting:
Code: Select all
Info:    openocd.c:93 main(): Open On-Chip Debugger (2007-09-05 09:00 CEST)
Error:   ft2232.c:1341 ft2232_init_ftd2xx(): unable to open ftdi device: 2
8-Dale
By mifi
Hello linuxguy,

I believe you need an other driver for the tiny device. I have only
added the "big" one in the OpenOCD installer.

It is possible that Olimex has changed the USB DEVICE_ID for the
Tiny, because the Tiny has not all feature of the "big" one.

You should ask Olimex for the correct INF file of the Tiny. Or take a
look at the Olimex web page. Perhaps you will find some information
there.

Regards,

Michael
By Dominic
According to Olimex' website the Tiny uses PID 0x4 whereas the "big" ARM-USB-OCD uses PID 0x3.

IIRC there used to be instruction about which files to modify when using a non-standard VID/PID with the D2XX drivers, but I couldn't find that information on FTDI's website right now.

The Olimex VID is 0x15ba, the PID is 0x4 for the ARM-USB-TINY.

Best regards,

Dominic

P.S.: How come a linuxguy uses Windows? ;)
By mifi
Hello,
IIRC there used to be instruction about which files to modify when using a non-standard VID/PID with the D2XX drivers, but I couldn't find that information on FTDI's website right now.
Take a look in the inf files from the "big" one, here replace the 0x3
by the 0x4 for the Tiny. Search for OlimexHW.

Regards,

Michael
By linuxguy
Dominic wrote:According to Olimex' website the Tiny uses PID 0x4 whereas the "big" ARM-USB-OCD uses PID 0x3.
Where did you find this information? I looked on the Olimex site but did not find anything like this.
Dominic wrote:IIRC there used to be instruction about which files to modify when using a non-standard VID/PID with the D2XX drivers, but I couldn't find that information on FTDI's website right now.
I saw something that mentioned non-standard VID and PID values, but did not realize this is the information I needed to make my Tiny work. I will go see if I can find that again.
Dominic wrote:The Olimex VID is 0x15ba, the PID is 0x4 for the ARM-USB-TINY.
I have made some progress now, which is good. I found four places in the ftd2xx.inf where I changed the PID from 0003 to 0004, and now the interface is found and drivers are installed. :) However, there is a second device which I believe is the port (Virtual Com Port??) device that has an Ftdiport.inf file. I believe this is needed for the second device Windows finds. Changing the PID to 0004 in the Ftdiport.inf file did not work.

Is there possibly a second PID value for the Ftdiport.inf to make the port device recognized so drivers can be loaded for it?
Dominic wrote:P.S.: How come a linuxguy uses Windows? ;)
I believe in running software under the native OS, regardless of what that OS is. :) So, I run Windows and Linux in a dual boot setup so I can run my 3D CAD software, some games, etc, under Windows.

8-Dale