SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions about processor boards have here!
By highly
Well, I managed to start this thread in the wrong forum section. This should have been in 'Carrier Boards'.

The M.2 socket and post are different footprints, and for whatever reason the post footprint isn't in the Micromod library.
The specifics are found here:
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/de ... h-micromod under "How to Design a MicroMod Carrier Board".

The SparkFun-MicroMod library contains the M.2 footprint, and the SparkFun-Hardware library contains the standoff. The standoff footprint gets placed by hand. Putting it all in the same library would have made me feel better about the final location of the standoff. Hopefully placement is not critical as the link professes :)
By KansasBot
From my experience with the SparkFun Eagle libraries, my educated guess would assume that it was placed in the separate folder due to the part being a physically different part. I can see the use for a generalized copper strip designed in the part for the library but I would also consider that this is a new ecosystem. There are a lot of use cases that are probably being considered and refined. My honestly best suggestion would be for you to alter your library part and file a git pull request for an engineer to look at your solution and see if it could be better included for the ecosystem. That is a huge contribution from the community that would better help them refine their ecosystem. If it's anything like Qwiic (and how large that has gotten) they'll probably have more in the pipe and things could change in the near future.
By Henning M.
Can't we just get information where to place the standoff relative to the M.2 connector? That would be very helpfull for those of us who use free software like KiCad. :cry:
By highly
This is what I went with. 20.25 mm from the nearest M.2 socket mounting hole and 6 mm across. See the attachment for detail. Sparkfun notes that placement 'isn't critical', but this best aligned with the Eagle footprint. That said I am still waiting on the arrival of my MMOD order, so although I have my PCB in hand I can't test it against the real world footprints yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum