SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By dbcrosby
I received the new roving networks WRL-00582 Bluetooth Modem BlueSMiRF. I had it working once receiving. I can't get it to work again. Is there a way to test the input and output terms. I can connect to it via bluetooth and change the baud rate. I'm using 9600, 8 bits,no parity, no flow control. Its like it not receiving and transmitting anything on the pins.

Any ideas??

Thanks.
By Ryansway
Hi,

This sounds familiar.

I've got/had exactly the same problem with the WRL-00582. I can access it using zTerm, change settings etc, but attaching a micro to it and receiving data only works "sometimes". On Mac, only via zTerm, and XPSP2, only via Docklight (sometimes).

The people at sparkfun seem to be at a loss understanding the issue. I spent 4 days trying to solve the problem, here:-

viewtopic.php?t=5399&start=15

Download Docklight and see if you get the same result as me, it'll work once or twice, then it won't.
By dbcrosby
Thanks for the info. I downloaded the progran and ran it. It seams to work! I don't know what to do next. If the plug the cable in with the built in TTL converter, it worksfine. But when I plug the Bluesmirf in nothing comes through.
By Level1
What do mean by "'it seems to work"? Can you enter command mode? Or just establish a RF connection?

What kind of dongle are you using and what kind of software are you using to establish the connection?

If you can enter command mode, are you doing it through the bluetooth link or directly through tx and rx?

Here is a simple test:

The easiest way to check whether the BlueSMiRF is working is to power the BlueSMiRF with a clean 5V source, and tie the TX and RX pins together. Then form a connection from your computer to the BlueSMiRF. Open the Bluetooth com port and type some characters. You should see the letters echo in the terminal screen. If they do, the BlueSMiRF is working.
By dbcrosby
Yes I can see the letters and numbers echo back.
I'm going through the bluetooth, no conection to the pc.
I'm using a Billionton class 1 usb on the computer. Off of E-bay for $18.00.
It uses the Bluetooth Stack for Windows by Toshiba ver 4.00.35(C)

I can enter "command mode" from either LynxTerm or with Windows HyperTerm. I can make changes to it and it will save the changes.

I guess the Bluesmirf is working fine and the problem must be with the control board i'm hooking it to.
By dbcrosby
Update,
Thanks for everyone that gave me feedback.
I was able to eliminate the Bluesmirf as the problem and move on to other causes. I was originally powering the bluesmirf from the control board and had changed to an external power supply. I forgot to connect the two commons from the two sources. Once I did that everything WORKS GREAT!

Thanks again.