SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By Mobs
Hello, I am interested in using the MiRFs (or similar) in my projects! I think I have a grasp of it and was hoping someone could answer a couple of questions as this will be my first wireless project.

1) In order to receive at a random time, will the CE line of the receiving unit will need to be held high constantly?

2) In shockburst mode: When data is to be transmitted I simply present each bit to the data pin and strobe the clock pin, the data will be transmitted after pre-configured length?

3) The receiving unit's data ready pin will then go high, data can be read by strobing the enable pin and reading the data pin?

4) Are there any problems using these for 2-way communication?

John
By Mobs
can anyone answer this please?
By leon_heller
I'd recommend the MiRF V2, as it uses the newer nRF24L01.

You should read the nRF24L01 documentation carefully for the answers, and look at some of the code that has been developed. I've got some simple code here for the PIC18F and the Microchip C18 compiler, based on the SFE code for the PIC16F88:

http://www.leonheller.com/MiRF%20V2/MIRF%20V2.zip

Brennen has some better code in his tutorials.

What range and data rate do you need? What MCU?

Leon
By Mobs
Hi Leon.

I was mainly interested in the v1 as it has a larger internal antenna (for this device a plug-in ducky would not be possible). And of course a slightly cheaper price which would mean more transceivers.

The mirfs will be run from 8bit pics, one will transmit data to the others which then mimc that data, it will be kind of a first-in first-served arangement - the modules seem very workable.

thanks for the help!
By leon_heller
I've played with the original MiRFs as well. The example code works OK, and is useful as a basis for your own application if you use a PIC. They do have a much better range than the MiRF 2 with the ceramic antenna.

Another option is the newer TI/Chipcon CC2500 modules. The kits are quite cheap, and software support is better than for the Nordic chips.

Leon