SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By efox
I am thinking of building a bluetooth controlled robot and I have a couple of questions which I could not seem to find.

1. Can the BGB203 (sku #WRL-08461) be used as both master and slave ?

There may or may not be using a PC as I want the robot(s) to transmit data to a master controller (could be a remote control, or just a a board with an gLCD on it). So essentially, if I have 2 of these modules, would I be ok for data transfer or would I need to have a host controller somewhere that will be able to control 2 of these modules ?

2. Is video transmision possible with this module ?
There will be a camera mounted on the robot and at times will want to send a short stream. Could be 5-10s maybe even less. Or if that is not possible, it can take a picture every so many seconds and transmit the picture instead.

That is all the important questions i have at this moment, but there may be furthur ones depending on the answers to the above questions.

Thanks in advance !
By Krogoth
Going by the speed which I can transfer files from my laptop to my phone over Bluetooth, I get around 50kb/s (reliably) average. That's about enough for an uncompressed ~200x200 picture once a second.
By efox
I've been doing a bit of reading since the start of this thread and it I just want to make sure that what I'm saying is true.

Any bluetooth module that spe has may be used as the master. What determines if it is the master is if it has come controller (any microcontroller) that sends the nessary host controller signals. So really the microntroller then becomes the hci (host controller interface). And if there are 2 bluetooth modules each with its own microcontroller, it is possible to then alternate between master and slave(not that I have any intention to, just want to know that i could if i wanted to).

Is that correct ?
By linuxguy
efox wrote:I am thinking of building a bluetooth controlled robot and I have a couple of questions which I could not seem to find.

1. Can the BGB203 (sku #WRL-08461) be used as both master and slave ?
I have one of these also and am about to wire it up to my LPC2148 proto board to link it with my main PC. I'll be able to post more when I know more. Bluetooth is supposed to be nothing more than a cable replacement, so technically there should not be any master or slave.

8-Dale
By efox
excellent. id love to hear what you have learned.

i could be wrong, but i do believe that there is a master and a slave because one of the layers of a bt stack is host controller interface. Thats my reasoning. But i do vaguely remember reading somewhere that its also possible to set them just to communicate (i.e cable replacement), but i didnt spend to much time reading it.

anyways, keep us informed when you get some free time.

thanks
Ryan