SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By Spektre
Can anyone speak to the advantages/disadvanyages to using the various bluetooth modules available here versus the A7 eb-501 adaptor.

I'll primarily be using it to interface RS232 to bluetooth.

Thanks in advance.

Spektre
By Spektre
Anyone, Bueller...bueller?
By YvesB
Hi Bueller,

I have used these embeddedBlue devices. They are nice and come equipped with an RS232 compliant port.

I think all units sold here have TTL uarts and require RS232 interface chips like the MAX232.

The embeddedBlue devices are also much more expensive (manufactured in Sweden). This is why I switched. I can build the RS232 support for a couple bucks.
By Spektre
I guess that is where I was wondering what the advantages are but from the other viewpoint.

The Embeddedblue devices are $49, and I didn;t see any for that price here. Therefore it lead me to question of there was some other benefit to teh Sparkfun parts (save supporting our favorite hobby place :) )
By steve joblin
Your not alone Spektre! I too am totally overwhellmed with the vast number of bluetooth devices currently being sold by Sparkfun, and I have no idea what the differences are... I wish someone had a little chart showing a comparison of each unit so we could easily understand the similarities and differences! Hopefully the moderator will read this and get Tech Support to set us straight!
By wiml
I think there's just a lot of development still going on with bluetooth modules. So avery few months someone comes out with something that's maybe a bit better.

Has anyone used both the bluesmirf (blueradios) modules and the A7 embeddedblue modules and can compare them?
By Undertow10
Sorry to be slightly off topic, but I could use a little help. I just purchased the bluetooth DIP module (http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=8461) and I am trying to interface it with a PIC16F628A. The bluetooth module is receiving data (watching the pinouts) but I can't seem to get the PIC to read it. I have tried using the MAX232 as an interface and numerous other tests, but the PIC never understands the data. Can anyone recommend the best way to interface this module to a PIC? There is very little documentation for this product online and it seems to be slightly outdated. Thanks for the help!