SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By Gamman
Hey everyone!

I am looking into a solution for remote programming, or programming on the fly. I currently have a board that just needs to be hooked up via a serial cable to be programmed (I don't need an external programmer). So, I want something that would simulate that serial cable, only over and RF link.

An example is this: http://www.aircable.net/cr-serialmale-serialfemale.html

However, I don't agree that is worth $80, nor do I need more than 10ft of range (I would just set the laptop on the bot to program it).

So...is there an easy way to do this for about $20? Thanks!
-Gam

PS. I searched...so don't piss yourself...
By brennen
So long as you only need to send data in one direction (simplex connection), my Tutorial 0 on my website (see the signature line below) does something similar. However, you have to have two microcontrollers and two 24L01 boards, so once all is said and done, you'd spend about $80 to get that bought. Now if you want to roll your own boards, you could probably get it done cheaper, but you would be extremely hard pressed to get two units for $20 total for the cost of PCBs and parts.
By Philba
if it was just simple communications where you could use some sort of crc or check sum, then you could get by with something cheaper. However, when you are programming, you need a high degree of reliability. You can't lose ANYTHING. You might be able to get by with cheaper rf links but it will take a very reliable protocol. Probably duplex so you can use ack/nack to resend lost packets.