SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By Fredrik
Does anyone have any experience with the Nordic transcievers in noisy environments?

My plan is to have them transmitting an ID-signal (just a few bytes) over a short distance (less than 10 meters) from a moped.
This will be to count laps (just laps, not lap times) in moped races, so the environment consist of several high rewing two stroke engines. Not the best environment for wireless communication for sure.

Will it work or will the signals be completely drowned in all the noise from the engines?
Should I go for the uMirf with 20 meter range? Or the Mirf V2 with 40 meter?
I need to get the signal but I'd like as short range as possible so I won't pick up the riders ID on more than one specific place on the track.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?
By leon_heller
Should be OK, any interference from the engines will be minimal at 2.4 GHz. There shouldn't be any, if the plugs are properly suppressed etc.

Leon
By Fredrik
Well, noise suppression isn't exactly high on the priority list for this type of races, and some of the mopeds (like mine) is from the early 70's and they could easily be heard on the radio even when they were new.
And the noise wouldn't be less when you double the rpms. On the other hand, some (most?) of them also have more sofiticated ignition systems to keep up with the higher rpms and should probably be better regarding to noise.
But since my moped should be about as bad as it gets it will be a good (bad?) test environment!