SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By davd
Hi,

I bought a bluetooth module from sparkfun, "Bluetooth v2.0 SMD Module

SKU#: WRL-00149", and I am having some problems getting it to work properly. Its mounted on a PCB receiving UART from an AT91SAM7S256.

On the PC end I am using a bluetooth dongle with bluesoleil. I can see the device on the computer and connect and create a com port between the two. From hyperterminal I can send various commands and receive back the appropriate responses (+++ etc)

The problem is however I cannot get my UART from the ARM to go through the Bluetooth module and show up on my computer. I have checked the UART with a scope and it is definitely getting to the module. I have double checked my baud rate and parity settings too.

Is there some special mode I have to set the module to? Can anyone think of anything I could possibly be missing? Also any suggestions as to a good replacement for hyper terminal?

Thanks in advance,

David
By jecottrell
Can't help with anything else, but try RealTerm. It was just suggested to me on another forum and it is light-years ahead of Hyperterminal.

Good luck,

John
By davd
Thanks. I have downloaded that software and it is really nice. Even has some options to adjust the settings on the bluetooth module!

I still haven't figured out what the problem is yet though.
By davd
I have a string being sent from my processor to the blue tooth module. Although I cannot see this on my PC. ( I can successfully send commands to the module from the pc and receive 'OK' etc.)

What exactly do I need to do to send basic data from the BT module to the computer?

Do I need to short CTS and RTS together? Also is there any special mode the BT module has to be in? All I have done so far is change the name and the baud rate of the device.

If you can help me please do! I really need to get this thing working asap and I have no idea what is wrong.

Thanks in advance,

David.
By davd
Sorted the problem out. I had PIO4 connected incorrectly. Disconnected it and it works great!