SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By roger_sing
I have a bluesmirf SMD module with a embedded controller to transfer data wirelessly. I have the unit functioning properly with available bluetooth USB dongles connected to my PC. But, the range on the USB Dongles out there seems to be not what they specify. It often falls under 10m.
The query here is that, I would like to know if someone knows of any bluetooth USB dongles that can support longer range......
I can certainly use another module with the present USB bluetooth dongle to increase the range.
Last edited by roger_sing on Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
By leon_heller
What range do you need? It might be better to use a different system.

Leon
By roger_sing
The range required on the connection is higher than 500m. This would be for both indoor and outdoor. To be more specific, it should connect with the smirf SMD under all circumstances at a distance greater than 500m.
By leon_heller
Isn't 10m the maximum for standard Bluetooth?

Leon
By roger_sing
I beleive so.
But, is there a way that the current setup I have be able to transmit at a greater distance?

I am not sure on this...If I have a bluetooth module powered on and ready to connect to any accepting connections, can we not have the accepting part be extended?
I dont know if I am saying this correct.....Let me rephrase a little more....
Can we not have a PC with bluetooth capabilities having longer range connect with a bluetooth device that has the range of 10m?
By leon_heller
I see what you mean - something like a Bluetooth PC base station with more RF power and a better antenna. I've heard of people getting much greater range with it, that is probably how they do it.

Leon
By busonerd
The current BlueSMIRF modules will do about 100m - but it sounds like the card inside your computer will only do about 10.

I can't think of any way you'll get 500m with bluesmirfs - this is not the solution for that kind of link. Actually I can think of one way - parabolic high gain antennas at each end that are aligned.

Cheers,

--David Carne
By roger_sing
The use of the parabolic antenna will work. But, they can be connected to only the PC side of the interface. The unit with the SMD Bluesmirf was designed to be miniature in size. I cannot therefore add a antenna bigger than 2-3 inches. I dont know if I could add a antenna on my PC and receive data regardless of the range on Bluesmirf. Its getting a real hard task to work with miniature devices with integrated bluetooth capability.
By roger_sing
I found a USB device that supposedly allows you to connect to weaker bluetooth devices. I wanted to know if anyone tried this device before....

The device is called AIRcableHOST XR sold under the following link;

http://www.aircable.net/host-xr.html

I would like to have someone's opinion on this device before I can purchase the product.
By wiml
Putting a high-gain (highly directional) antenna on one end of the link helps both directions, though. With a long Yagi-Uda or panel antenna people have reported connecting to unmodified bluetooth devices a mile away.
By busonerd
Just as a note - I really don't think the bluetooth spec was designed for those ranges. [If anyone has a link saying that it is, let me know!]

You can boost the power up to 30dbm in the ISM band without too many regulatory hurdles, so a bidir PA/LNA setup on both ends might push your receive range out a ways.. but 500m would be hard. No idea whether the bluetooth spec would still apply though [you might not be able to call your product bluetooth then!]

Cheers,

--David Carne
By phalanx
The Linksys USBBT100 is a bluetooth dongle with a class-1 radio good for about 100 meters line of sight. I use one and it does work noticeably better than the cheap dongles you can get for a few bucks. It also comes with a full USB stack so you do not have to rely on blue soleil.

Linksys USBBT100

It is definitely more sensitive than the cheap dongles because I can now transfer data to and from my cell phone at full speed regardless of where I am in my house. Just remember that you really need two 100m devices to take advantage of the extra power if you are going for long distances. The 100m dongle has enough power to get a valid signal to low power device at 75m but the low power guy won't have the strength to reach the 100m one.

-Bill
By roger_sing
Thanks for all the posts.

I tried the HOST XR USB bluetooth dongle from www.aircable.net

It seems to work great with Blueradios SMD products. It uses the Bluesoleil program for connectivity and supports Windows applications on a great extent. With the 9dbi antenna, they give out a range of 250m without any problems. The Bluesoleil also displays a picture image of the established connection. The connection is also instant.
Anyone requiring long range connectivity, try HOST XR.

Great stuff...