SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By Andrew02E
I'm going to be using the GE863 module in an upcoming project. I can't seem to find enough information on connecting a SIM card to the GE863 though.
So far all I could find was the following pin descriptions for the SIM socket:
VCC (C1)
Reset (C2)
CLK (C3)
GND (C5)
VPP (C6)
I/O (C7)
On the GE863, five of the six SIM connection pins are obvious (VCC, RST, CLK, GND, I/O). This would leave me to assume that the SIMIN pin on the GE863 gets connected to VPP on the SIM card, but we all know what happens when we assume.

So... could someone point me in the right direction here? Schematics of the GE863 wired to the SIM socket would be great, but any sort of clear indication will do.

Thanks
By leon_heller
I've designed a PCB for a system using the GE863. I've got a couple of boards but they haven't been tested yet. I'm using a Molex SIM card connector with a switch and have connected one side of the switch to ground and the other to SIMIN which has an internal pullup. If your connector doesn't have a switch just connect SIMIN to Gnd. It is definitely active low according to the hardware manual.

I'm using a PIC16F88 to control the GM863.

My two prototype boards have been sent away to have the GE863 modules assembled to them, I should get them back next week and I'll assemble the other parts myself. I hope they work. 8-)

Leon
By Andrew02E
According to the datasheet, the socket provided by Sparkfun has the card-detect switch, so that's what should be used to switch SIMIN to ground. Cool.