SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By citius
So I've recently gotten a GM862, and I got it working on the Cingular network, as per
viewtopic.php?t=6284&highlight=gm862

So I can connect to the network under those settings, and set up the Email, user, password, and sending address. That's fine. However, when I try to actually send an email (By both methods for ESMTP), I get errors both times. Has anyone actually gotten it working yet?
By gm
Hello Citius,

I have been able to send an email using the GM862-GPS. Exactly where are you having the problem? Are you using Python or are you just sending the commands via a terminal emulator?

Greg
By citius
I'm banging commands through a GM862-Quad through a terminal emulator (i.e. Hyperterminal). I've specified my SMTP host, userID, password, and sending address, and then I get stuck:

I setup all the cingular GPRS info

I set
AT#ESMTP="<personal e-mail acct SMTP server>"
AT#EUSER="<userid>"
AT#EPASSW="<pass>"
AT#EADDR="<address>"
and then I set:

AT#EMAILACT=1

then
AT#EMAILD="<dest>", "Test", 0
> This is a test <ctrl-z>
+CME Error: connection failed

Do you know why this is happening?
By gm
Here is the log of the settings I used when I sent the email interactively using a terminal emulator. For the eaddr, put the phone number of the sim card:

at+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.cingular"
OK
at#userid="wap@cingulargprs.com"
OK
at#passw="CINGULAR1"
OK
at#pktsz=300
OK
at#dsto=50
OK
at#sktto=90
OK
at#sktct=600
OK
at#sktsav
OK
at#esmtp="cwmx.com"
OK
at#eaddr="12015551212@cingular.com"
OK
at#esav
OK

at#gprs=1
+IP: 10.108.211.23

OK
at#gprs=0
OK
at#emailact=1
OK
at#emaild="youraddr@yourhost","GM862 message",0
> Hello World!<ctrl-Z>
OK

Hope this helps.

Greg
By citius
Wonderful! It works! Thank you, Greg.

I do have to ask - why do you activate/deactivate the GPRS context? To what purpose will that accomplish?

Another note - does "cingulargprs.com:CINGULAR1" work for you? Only "cingular.com:cingular1" appears to work on my end.

You also wouldn't happen to have gotten an FTPPUT working, perchance? I'm slightly confused - are all internet-based activities limited to cingular only links? The FTP get works, so it's a little confusing.

I tried a SKTOP on www.google.com on port 80, and my normal SMTP server on 25, and couldn't interface with either.
By gm
It has been about month since I was working on this but I believe that I activated the context just to make sure I had an IP address and then I deactivated it since the email command activates the context automatically and I just wanted to make sure that it did.

I haven't tried the FTP stuff yet, haven't needed to so can't help you there.

Best regards,

Greg