SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By Dutch2
Can I use my BlueTooth phone (Razr) to send a number to a BlueSMiRF?

In other words, I'd like to connect to the BlueSMiRF with my phone, enter a number, and send it.... possible?

Thanks in advance,

D2.
By wiml
I've done this with a razr v3i. I've read that earlier versions don't have the Java Bluetooth APIs (even though they have java and bluetooth).
By Dutch2
Thanks wiml, I don't have the right phone (it just says V3 on the label under the battery) but at least I know it is possible.

How did you figure out how to make it work? Is there a web site you could recommend?

Crazy idea: could the BlueSMiRF act as a wireless headset to make it compatible with more phones?

Thanks,

D2.
By wiml
I had to piece info together from a bunch of different sites. All the information you need is available from java.sun.com, but it's hard to find it or figure out which parts are relevant to what you're doing. Google is your friend :) There are a handful of tutorials on the web, but you need to read several to get a good picture.

The acronyms that you'll run across a lot are J2ME, CLDC, and MIDP. J2ME is the general name for "mobile edition" java. CLDC is the name for the java environment on a small device like a cell phone (what classes and methods are available for you to use). MIDP is a further refinement of CLDC for cell phones. And JSR-82 defines how to talk to Bluetooth devices from a java applet.

Anyway, I hope this gets you started in the right direction. Good luck!