SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By milazz
I have some questions about the Bluetooth devices
I have a senior project for my final year at university and I need to
control a machine via a Bluetooth enabled cellular phone (via a Java application)
I would like to ask which devices can achieve a long time connection with a cellular phone so I can control the machine
(The machine takes easy and small controls, like on, off, step up, step down...)
So the received data is very small (a byte or 2 per action)
I saw the Bluetooth v2.0 DIP Module and the “easyâ€
By DarioG
In my opinion, Bluetooth is kind of complicated, even for simplest tasks. Its Stack can do almost everything, that's why.

I'd suggest you get a Bluetooth dongle for PC, or rather a Bluetooth to Serial (like Merlin 's or Sena ) , and to some tests making the Mobile phone talking to PC. Then, go on with DIP module and PIC.
By stevech
there are some bluetooth to RS232 serial devices that can talk to one another. But really, a module like Maxstream XBee is far easier and not tangled up with driver issues.
By wiml
You ought to be able to connect to the bluesmirf over RFCOMM from a MIDP device (like a cell phone) by calling javax.microedition.io.Connector.open("btspp://XXXXXXXXXXXX:0"); where the XXXXXXXXXXXX is the hexadecimal bluetooth address of the bluesmirf. (btspp: is the Bluetooth Serial Port Profile recognized by the J2ME generic connection framework). Read up on MIDP, CLDC, and maybe JSR-082 if you want to do something fancier than a serial connection.

I just tried to do this, but I'm having a hard time getting a development environment set up that produces applets my phone will accept. Oh well. :?