SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By yhsis
Hi, I'd like to know if it's possible to use BlueSMiRF to communicate with
Bluetooth cellphones.
How can I get a cellphone to send data to BlueSMiRF on incoming call signal?
I'm working on a school project and I'm a newbie at this.
I worked with Arduino boards before and I'm hoping to connect BlueSMiRF to
my Arduino board so that when it receives some data, the board will activate
a vibration as output much like a bluetooth headset.
I found tutorials on integrating BlueSMiRF with Arduino but I couldn't find
anything on getting bluetooth cellphone to send data to BlueSMiRF on
incoming call.
Any specific help would be SO appreciated!
Thank you.
By alnguyen
I've been trying to get my new cell (Sony Ericsson w810i Cingular Provider) to talk to hyperterminal for about a week now.

First, I went to the phone manufacturer's website and got a software dev kit. They will probably have one based on the Java Wireless Toolkit if your phone can run Java games. Using this toolkit you will be able to create midlets (phone java apps).

If you're phone supports the Bluetooth API (JSR 82) then you will be able to create midlets that can perform bluetooth device discovery, connect, and send data to other bluetooth devices. You'd probably use the serial port profile of the BlueRadio stack to do the talkin.

I found a good website that explains all that pretty well.

http://www.benhui.net/modules.php?name=Bluetooth

The problem I'm having is that Cingular doesn't allow access to the bluetooth port on my phone through unsigned midlets, and getting a certificate to sign my midlet from Verisign or Thawte would cost +$500. I looked into putting a fake root certificate using OpenSSL on my phone and signing my midlet with it, but the phone won't take it. (If anybody knows how to get around this PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!!... :oops: I wonder if debranding/unlocking the phone would get rid of these restrictions... )

So I guess the short answer is that it depends on your phone haha.
By wiml
After some messing around I finally got midlets working on my phone (a Motorola Razr V3i), and I can talk to the bluesmirf from it. The device and service discovery are a pain but once that's done you can connect using the GCF connection object with the btspp: (bluetooth serial port profile) protocol scheme from my custom java applet.

Just wanted to post a success story. :D