SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By dnelson
Hello,

I am trying to build a weather balloon, for which I am making a circuit board that will (hopefully) allow a GPS (and a few environmental sensors) to transmit a stream of data through a PIC to an SD Card. The trouble is that I have minimal experience with circuitry and therefore am quite a bit clueless as to how to do this. As a starting point, I would greatly appreciate any tips/tutorials that would help me in creating a circuit that will send data from the EM-406 to a PIC18F2455, then write it to the SD card using a breakout board purchased from this site.

Thank you!
-David
By ohararp
I have been down the road you want to travel. Overall, its not to hard to do from a hardware standpoint. Trouble is having a compiler witht the SD library ready to go. There are a number of options out there. Check out the blog and I can try and help out if like.
By dnelson
ohararp,

Thank you for your quick reply! I've looked at your blog a few times, and your circuit diagrams and such have been a big help.

Is the SD library you're referring to a C library? What compiler did you use for your project? I don't understand the SD card very well, so I'm curious as to whether the breakout board is enough for reading, writing, formatting, or whatever else I need to do.
By ohararp
I use www.picbasic.org and SWRIGHT has written an SD File System that allows you to use the FAT16 file system. SWRIGHT has written the code and made it freely available. I have found it to be very robust and reliable. The cade can be found at http://www.protongeeks.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=44
By gussy
You can use an AVR with the Bascom Compiler (Free version avaiable)

This has inbuilt SD compatability.

@ ohararp: How did you mount the EM-406 on your PCB, i see no mounting holes on the module in the datasheet?
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]