SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By coldstart99
Hi SPE,

I have a question regarding the safety profile of the IR LEDs in my current project. I have (3) infrared (~940nm) led "lamps" separated by several inches each which I am tracking effectively with a camera. But is it an eye-safe configuration? Tracking distance is ~1 to 12 feet and the illumination by the IR LEDs make them excellent beacons. All of the IR LED specs I have are below, pasted from purchase site (no other available). A synopsis: each IR LED drops ~1.7 volts, consumes 100ma forward current, power output = 150mw, and has a viewing angle of 90 degrees. I can also increase the diffusion of the LED with an abrasive material if that would help.
Package:
※1xPCS 50Pcs 5mm Infrared IR LED Night Vision 940nm Luminous Diode LED infrared Lamp.

Features:
※ Small and light appearance, it is convenient to carry.
※ Small volume, low power consumption, excellent directivity.
※ With IR function, it is easy to use.
※ It can be used in the field of monitoring, remote control, photoelectric control, target tracking etc.

Specifications:
※ Quantity: 50pcs
※ Diameter: 5mm / 0.2"
※ Material: GaAsP
※ Emitted color: Infrared ray
※ Forward voltage: 1.4--1.65V
※ Backward voltage: 5V
※ Forward current: 100mA
※ Wavelength: 940nm
※ Angle: 90/60/45/30 degree
※ Luminous power: 150mw
※ Frequency characteristic: Low frequency.

The default angle is 90 degree,if you need other angle
Thank you.
By darrellg
They're used in hundreds of millions of TV remote controls. You won't find any references to anyone ever being harmed by a TV remote.
By coldstart99
Hi DarrellG thanks for the reply. Are you saying that this LED typifies the ones used in TV remotes? I'll do so more digging on my end.
By darrellg
Yes, TV remotes use pulsed IR LEDs to transmit codes to the television.
By coldstart99
Thx. I've got the circuit built before the post, and the detector works great. The output is continuous and not pulsed, 100ma. I'm just trying to find some information on the safety of the specs I am using. The laser categorization system now includes LEDs; class 1 = safe use under all foreseeable conditions. So I need some documentation that correctly classes the specs of the LED I posted. I think its 1, but not sure. The output is 150mw, which I think is much higher than your remote, so it needs to be treated differently.
By darrellg
coldstart99 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:39 pm The laser categorization system now includes LEDs; class 1 = safe use under all foreseeable conditions. So I need some documentation that correctly classes the specs of the LED I posted. I think its 1, but not sure. The output is 150mw, which I think is much higher than your remote, so it needs to be treated differently.
What country are you in that requires that?
By coldstart99
Hi darrelg
The vast majority of devices containing LEDs are "safe under all conditions of normal use", and so are classified as "Class 1 LED product"/"LED Klasse 1". At present, only a few LEDs—extremely bright LEDs that also have a tightly focused viewing angle of 8° or less—could, in theory, cause temporary blindness, and so are classified as "Class 2".[165] The opinion of the French Agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health & Safety (ANSES) of 2010, on the health issues concerning LEDs, suggested banning public use of lamps in the moderate Risk Group 2, especially those with a high blue component, in places frequented by children.[166][167]

In general, laser safety regulations—and the "Class 1", "Class 2", etc. system—also apply to LEDs.[168]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode

It appears my source is (1) outdated (2) possibly generated by French govt
I'm going to have to concede here that your source is more timely and correct -- its .gov for goodness sakes!
I definitely don't have a laser. Several of the articles wanted to classify some LEDs as lasers...if they had a certain power and viewing angle of 8 degrees or less. 90 degrees of power dissipation (150mW) clearly is not a laser but what is it. I feel like this horse has been beaten to death : ) I guess I am looging for some math to back up what I intuitively know is ok.
Last edited by coldstart99 on Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
By coldstart99
LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) are different from laser diodes and are not subject to the Federal laser product performance standard.
That's pretty clear. Are you aware of any separate agency or performance standard applying to LEDs? Does their omission from laser guidelines underwrite the general liability of working with IR LEDs?

Thanks for your patience. I do feel this discussion is fruitful : :idea:
By darrellg
I am not. The only reason I know to check with the CDRH is that you mentioned it was related to laser regulation, with which I have some experience. I can't think of any other agency that would deal with that type of stuff, but you never know when it comes to government regulation.

Something like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_heater puts out over a thousand watts of IR radiation. I don't think you need to worry about 150mW.