SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By BanziMassimo
Hallo
i'm massimo banzi ( not the Arduino one alas) and i'm interested in fall detection systems.
Would like to know what is the difference between the Photon IMU shield and the MPU-9250 9 axis MEMS
Thank You
Massimo
By jremington
They use completely different chips measure acceleration, rotation and magnetic fields, so the only similarity is the goal.
By BanziMassimo
What are the chipset in IMU shield than?
By jremington
Is that a joke question, or are you really too lazy to read the product description?
By BLH
It is on the main sales screen for the device.
LSM9DS1
By BanziMassimo
Sorry guys, new to the topics, i red it but too many acronyms.
So be patient please.
As said i am trying the several solution i can use for assembling a accelerometer with a chip and a wifi module as well as a LiPo battery
I set up a bundle with photon, the particle, IMU shield and battery shield.. it seems to fit well my requirements.
But than i saw the SparkFun 9DoF Razor IMU M0, but it miss the wifi module. What could i use with it?
Finally i saw the SparkFun ESP8266 Thing: i could bundle it with IMU Breakout - MPU-9250, right? But to progrma it it seems i need a separate module the FTDI... a mess! it seems to me that Photon is the best solution (even wifi programmable i red) even if the assembòy result larger and not programmable with arduino IDE.
What can you suggest folks? Can provide any suggestion please?
By jremington
Many accelerometers have a "free fall detection" output.
The popular ADXL345 is one of those.
By BanziMassimo
yes, but apparently only using accelerometer data, results in a lot of false positives. Many algorithm combine gyroscope data (and magnetometer too for orientation) to provide more secure outputs. I also would like to add some AI to the algorithm so i need a little computational abilities from the chipset. I was inspecting the Razor IMU M0 combined with ESP8266 WiFi Module (even if i do not need a memory slot). But if i correctly understand i have two processors this way and fear about consumption. I need to put in sleep mode the wifi until an event occurs to prevent execessive use of battery ( i was thinking at a 2Ah LiPo battery for ensuring at least 24 h of coverage)