SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

For the discussion of Arduino related topics.
By mozobata
I am working on a prototype that requires use of an Arduino Uno, digital humidity sensor, heart rate monitor, temperature probe, and GPS unit. My issue, I believe is with trying to implement to the two serial devices (GPS and Temperature) with the software serial library. I've read in other posts that such issues may arise if the code tries to talk with both devices at once. I don't think I'm doing that, but might be mistaken.Here is the datesheet of ds18b20.

I am achieving viable sensor output, but the Temperature output and GPS readings are inconsistent. Specifically, The GPS readings display often enough but not regularly and although the temperature data is mostly good, sporadically the code will print -1000. I can filter this nonsense data, but I'd rather solve the problem. Any ideas?
Also note that the ds18b20 sensor doesn't use the normal serial UART type of communication. It uses a different protocol named 1-wire. (invented by Dallas Instruments) Although it might use the RX and TX pins of such a port to create the signals. A single pin should suffice really. It requires a library like OneWire (different to software serial and may not be compatible, I don't know) to operate as the Arduino doesn't talk OneWire natively.