Sparkfun SAMD21 Device Driver Issue

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.

Moderators: phalanx, TS-Tim

djmadison121

Sparkfun SAMD21 Device Driver Issue

Post by djmadison121 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:53 pm

Problem: I cannot upload the Blink sketch to the Sparkfun SAMD21 on the Sparkfun Wireless Joystick

I recently purchased the Sparkfun Wireless Joystick, which uses the Sparkfun SAMD21 Microcontroller. Using the hookup guides, everything went smoothly until I wanted to have my Windows 7 computer recognize the device.

When I plug in the device, it shows 2 identical SparkFun SAMD21 entries in the Other Devices category in Device Manager. I downloaded the Device Driver from the hookup guide (zip file named SparkFun-SAMD21-Driver-111115). Two files existed in this zip file, I placed them into a similarly named directory.

I selected the first SparkFun SAMD21 entry in the Other Devices category and attempted to install the driver via Update Driver and navigating to the folder I created with the 2 driver files. WIndows immediately returned a message saying it could not find the driver software. I then selected the second SparkFun SAMD21 entry in the list and repeated my steps. The device installed correctly and now shows up in my Ports list in Device Manager as Sparkfun SAMD21 Breakout (COM7). The first entry in the Other Devices list is still there and no driver is present.

After this was completed, I selected the SparkFun SAMD21 Dev Breakout board in the Arduino IDE, and also the COM7 port (only one in the list) noted above.

When I try to upload the Blink sketch and the following message appears: No device found on COM7

I have performed various combinations of uninstalling and re-installing with no luck (including just uninstalling the one listed under Other Devices), always ending in the same results.

Any help would be appreciated!

jarfirst

Re: Sparkfun SAMD21 Device Driver Issue

Post by jarfirst » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:11 am

I just got the same problem: Windows 7, two drivers. My board is also pulsating the D13 LED.

sqaltester

Post by sqaltester » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:35 am

I am having exactly the same issue (i.e. code compiles but COM port error when uploading) with the Sparkfun Wireless Joystick, even though the SAMD board appears in the Device Manager (on the appropriate COM port) with the appropriate driver installed correctly. Has anyone found a workaround/solution to this?

Pelkesterz

Post by Pelkesterz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:57 pm

I too am having the same problem. Has anyone found a workaround or solution to this problem?

Thanks for the help.

slothsd

Post by slothsd » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:00 pm

Did any find a solution? Im on windows 7. Driver installed only on one of the SAMD21 listed under other devices in device manager. Still have a SparkFun SAMD21 in Other devices. The driver will not install on this one. Get "bossac.exe: extra arguments" found when trying to use the com port that is in the device manager with Arduio IDE version 1.8.7. I have tried pressing the reset button twice to put in to bootloader mode but I can't get the yellow light to turn on. This is for the Sparkfun SAMD21 Mini.