SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By rkantos
As the subject describes, i accidentally had a lipo with reversed poles and I got magic smoke from my Lilypad Simple. Is there someone knowledgeable enough to tell me which chip(s) it has most likely fried? I'm thinking the Lipo-charging IC? The device works without problems on usb power, and presumably on external 5V power as well. When the switch is turned to on-position, the green/main LED just flashes rapidly and nothing happens.

By rkantos
Seems like I cannot edit posts.. Do you think replacing the MCP73831/2 SOT-23-5 could be enough?

I was able to test that the power-on LED works, so it wasn't fried in the process. Also could someone more knowledgeable answer a question regarding the schematic; The programming resistor on the schematic is said to be 1kΩ, which would put the charging current to 500mA, while observing visually the programming pin seems to have a resistor named "01C", e.g. 10kΩ on it, which would make the charging current around 100mA.

I was supposed to also link the schematic and external board-view to the original post:

http://cdn.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Dev/ ... le-v25.pdf

By rkantos
Just a follow-up.. I replaced the MCP73831/2 SOT-23-5 with a new one.. I think It is working like it did before the magic smoke :) At least it works with a lipo as power supply in the JST-connector. Haven't tested charging yet.

I can't remember how it worked before i fried the charging circuit, but iss the yellow LED supposed to be blinking constantly when no lipo is connected and power is supplied via FTDI?