SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By prc
I'm a first-time XBEE user having some serious trouble. When i connect them via USB to my computer and open up a serial port, I see the XBee counting up like so:

0000012A
0000012B
0000012C
0000012D
Despite not being connected to another XBee! The counting sequence resets upon losing power. Is this supposed to be happening? How would I see data being sent if it's just jumbled with counting?

I turned to serial because XTCU was also giving me weird bugs. It would connect, but then fill all the values with garbage on configuration.

With serial, +++ makes the counting stop, and ATID, ATMY, and ATSL return reasonable values. However, ATDL just returns an error.

I'm using an XBEE Pro S3B Xbee (XBP9B-XCST-002 revM).

Does anyone have any insight into what's going on?
By justacec
It might help to provide more information about your setup (connections). I am assuming that you have two XBee modules, one connected to your computer and the other plugged into the Arduino. You should also post your code. It is possible that you are sending the incrementing counter (I assume in your loop function with a delay) to the Serial object, which is the connection to your PC via the USB cable and not through the XBee. When you open your serial terminal on your computer you need to make sure that you are opening the correct port. If you use the default, it will likely try to connect to the Arduino which is just spitting out what is sent out on the Serial line, ie. your incrementing counter. That would work whether you even plugged in the XBee.

It has been some time since your post, I assume you got this working.