SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By Kathrrak
Hey everyone! I've just got back to the wonderful world of electronics after a, say, 20 year hiatus. Oh my, things have changed!

I made a small arduino game (like a unidimensional Pong) using a couple of buttons and 7 LEDs. It's working fine on my breadboard + Arduino R3 UNO, and I'd like to make a version that's not a giant rat nest of wires.

So far I've figured out how to use Eagle (barely!) and found oshpark.com (which means I don't have to deal with gerber files). I've also figured out I'd like to use an ATtiny84 for the project -- I only need 7 pins from the processor, 2 of them PWM.

As far as power goes, I'd love to have a miniUSB connector on the board so I could update the software in-circuit, but ideally I could also have something like a CR2032 so I can carry the thing with me. (I'll worry about 3D-printing the casement later.) Is there a better way to update the programming? Maybe what I need is a pin header I can plug into from my bigger Arduino board to use that as an ISP...?

Any tips for me? I'm curious about:

1) Can I mix surface-mount and through-hole components in my project? Will Eagle take care of that for me? (I'm a soldering newbie, by the way, any tips on reducing solder risk will be appreciated.)

2) Anything special to do in order to add the battery? I'm guessing I just put it over my ground plane polygon and somehow connect the + side away, haven't seen how that works in detail yet.

3) Should I be using a smaller/cheaper chip?

4) Am I crazy to try this off the bat with no previous board printing experience?!?

Thanks in advance!! I'd really appreciate any help with this. :-)