SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By 142victoria
I am making a musical instrument using a Arduino controlling the Tsunami using midi.
https://cdn.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Wid ... rigger.pdf
I need to have a means of volume control for each of the eight outputs.
I am considering whether to alter the volume levels for each output with pots controlled by the arduino software ,or to hard wire the outputs of the Tsunami with pots/ mixer circuit.
Finally I wish to combine the eight mono audio outputs together to form a single mono line out signal.
Can you please tell me your views on the way to do this ?

Cheers Sam
By robertsonics
You can easily control the volume of the individual eight outputs using the Tsunami Arduino library.

On the other hand, you'll need to come up with or design an analog line-level 8-to-1 mixer in order to combine the outputs.

If you ultimately want a mono signal, why not just route all the tracks to the same (single) mono output and use the track volume to adjust the individual levels. In other words, let Tsunami do the mixing. Or maybe I'm missing something...
By robertsonics
After reviewing your previous questions, I'm now assuming the reason you want to utilize the individual outputs is so that you can have independent pitch bending for each output. The easiest thing would be to use the Tsunami Arduino library to control the output volumes, and build a simple line-level mixer with a resistor network, if you can afford the attenuation, or some resistors and an op-amp. Google "line-level mixer circuit" for how to do this.

Hope this helps.