SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By Saraanel
I was wondering if I could pick your brain about some projects my 2nd graders want to do as part of our Problem Based Learning unit to try to solve Colony Collapse Disorder among honeybees?

1. One group wants to make heat for a hive, so that when we get a cold spell in early fall, the bees can survive it. Do you know where could find heat coils that would be safe enough for 2nd graders to use? I was thinking I could buy a few of the solar jitter bugs for the panels, but the heat source has me stumped. Or I could buy a couple of these and connect them to a heat coil? Not sure.

2. Another group wants to use an app to dispense bee food into a hive if the temperature drops. Any ideas there? They know of an app that people can use on their phone to feed their dog remotely with a dispenser that opens and food falls into the bowl.

Any ideas you might have are much appreciated!
By theropod
Bees do not need extra heat if the hive is moderately insulated. I have seen wild bees survive very well in the wall of an uninsulated barn in eastern Washington state where it regularly got far below zero F.

There is a risk of spoilage of any food directly placed inside the hive. This could be a disaster for the colony. The reason they make and store honey is to supply food to the hive over the winter. Honey has antibiotic properties, and bees keep their hives very clean.

Some bee keepers feed the hive, but they allow the bees to use the food, or not, at their discretion. This is usually done to suppliment natural sources, and start in late summer through early fall, and are NEVER introduced inside the hive.

Neonicitinoid poisons are the current leading suspects in colony colapse disorder. Keeping this pesticide out of the environment will do far more than attempting to help the bees. They have had millions of years to perfect their craft, and live quite well in the wild if not sickened by these poisons.

RS