SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By okasional
I'm working on a project that requires a simple, single channel, momentary (single push button), remote control that operates at 5V max, 3V preferred, with a range of up to 100 ft indoors. Can anyone tell me or point me to instructions on how to use a pair of Sparkfun RFM69 transceiver modules and a minimum of other components (no processors) to do this? I know this is not the least expensive way, but I'm looking for a little more elegant solution than the ubiquitous super regenerative or superhet receivers shipped from China in 20 to 40 days. My gut feel tells me this is a loser of an idea because it at least needs encoding/decoding.

Incidentally, a product area I've found to be extremely well advanced in low cost, well designed and quality manufactured remote control technology is wireless door bells and chimes, particularly those manufactured by the Chinese company Quhwa. There are many dozens of models that cost $10 or so for a plug-in or battery powered receiver and a small push button transmitter. There are several models that would make a good choice for my project by removing the receiver circuit board and tapping into a point indicating a received signal. The battery powered receivers usually have two or three AA cells, and many of the transmitters are powered by a single 3V coin cell, yet the products have excellent range. There are many models sold by Amazon, and there's even one supplier (1byone) with a stocking warehouse in California.
By Valen
okasional wrote:...Can anyone tell me or point me to instructions on how to use a pair of Sparkfun RFM69 transceiver modules and a minimum of other components (no processors) to do this?...
Doesn't the Hookup Guide suffice?

[EDIT]Whoops, sorry. It needs microcontrollers to read the switch and turn that into commands sent over SPI-interface. The hookup-guide states that it can't do anything by itself alone. No other way around a micro then. And those other cheap transmitter/receiver pairs like you mentioned need one too since sending a simple continous on can be fooled by your neighbour's weather sensor or whatever. Encoding is the key. ( There is a pun in there somewhere ;) )

The wireless doorbells like you already found already do generate a bit-sequence for encoding internally. So depending on the price would seem perfect for the job.
By lyndon
Adafruit has a 4-button key fob and receiver (sold separately) for a total cost of about $15. Sparkfun (hint, hint, guys!!!) doesn't have one like this. Unless they've added it recently: I was looking for one a few months ago.