SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By sdawg
Hello all. I'm not a hobbyist, but am trying to set up rope, or ribbon lights, in my house. I have purchased a dimmer switch, but don't know the very basic process for connecting wires to it. The switch is at this link, and you can see a picture of the wiring connections on the amazon link. I can 'stick' the wires into the holes, and know that the dimmer switch works.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JZ ... UTF8&psc=1

But I don't know how to secure the wires in the holes. Taping doesn't hold them in place securely enough. The holes seem too small and close together (and close to the dimmer switch electronics) to solder the wires 'into' the holes. The holes are just cylindrical holes-they have no locking device in them.

Yet the wires have to be reasonably secure. The lighting system is either on top of bookcases, or under kitchen cabinets (I will be doing both), and the simmer switch is between the rope lighting and the power converter (to convert from 120v ac to I think 12 v dc).

As I said: a very basic question. But how do I do it?

Steve
By davep238
The dimmer won't work. Instead, you need a 12 volt power supply. They are listed in "Customers who bought this item also bought".