SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By rsmath
I received my first redstick as part of the Black Friday Holiday Lights kit. That kit uses 4 AA batteries to connect to the battery terminal.

I've decided I wanted to try a redstick to be the processor for a 5 meter WS2812B LED string which leads to me to the battery terminal question about the redstick.

The redstick info i've found in the sparkfun hookup guide and the info printed on the redstick silkscreen says 2-6V on the battery terminal input but I can't find a maximum current rating. I"m using a 5V, 10A power supply just to be extra safe and not sorry for making sure I can meet the worst-case current needs for the 300-count addressable RGB LED string.

I make an assumption the redstick has an onboard voltage regulator and thus the redstick 2-6V battery terminal input should not exceed 1.0 or 1.5A and that I should not hook up my 5V/10A supply to the battery terminals. My fear is that if some combo of lit LEDs and colors cause a momentary draw of 2 or more amps, I might burn out the onboard voltage regulator in the redstick.

Am I correct assuming a 1.0 or 1.5A maximum current rating of the redstick battery terminals? Thanks.
By darrellg
Connect the power to the Redstick in parallel to the power going to the strip. You already have a regulated power supply, so there is no reason to power the strip through the Redstick.
By rsmath
I asked my father, a retired EE, what parallel power hookups are and am clear on that concept.

I am still unclear what the maximum current rating of the redstick battery terminals are (for deciding proper redstick usage in future projects).