SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By umbertofilippo
Hi all. This is my very first time in the forum and I hope to post in the right section. Otherwise, please point me to the right one (if any) and I'll move the post asap!
Birefly I am working on a locator project. I would place a microcontroller and a GSM remotely, making requests to them sending sms from a client (a pc with sms-gateway software), and receiving sms from them bsck to the same client.
I would like to use a microcontroller to interface with a GSM modem. I found the SIM900 (http://simcom.ee/modules/gsm-gprs/sim900/) to be a possible solution. But as I am a newbie, I cannot find an answer to my question: what microcontroller should I need to interface with it???
So, I know I need one with at least UART capabilities, and that I would use AT commands to interface with it. But it needs to be small, long-lasting (low-power), and possibly low-cost.
I would have gone for a Raspberry Pi (the small pi-zero model) as I am used to Python and linux, but they told me it's not the best for long-lasting projects. I also know how to use Arduino a bit (I do have an Arduino Uno and two mini), and programming languages are fine for me. Are these suitable for the project in your opinion or would you reccommend something else? Thanks in advance for any suggestion or hint!