SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By Foofenscoops
Hello!

I am designing a board in Altium Designer 17 and ran into a parts sourcing issue that I've spent hours on and yielded absolutely no progress. I am designing a board that requires four of the probes shown in the image below to be attached to the output signal from an IC on the board. These probes are single polarity and were provided to me prior to beginning the design. I've already gone through the design and simulation and have the design completely hashed out, save the attachment of the probes.

Already having used female pin sockets like the one shown in the image below, my initial design vision was to have a 4 position female header socket with the corresponding signals traced to them. The probes would then just simply be plugged into the necessary socket. This issue I'm having is finding sockets with a large enough diameter to fit a 1.63mm probe, I've only been able to find sockets that house the standard .1" header pins which are much too small.

I feel as if this is a ridiculously simple issue and I am coming to a forum as a last resort as deadlines are approaching. I blame myself for not being able to use the feature search on digikey well enough :oops: but their parameters don't include a socket diameter. I'm wondering if it is just not standard to make parts to house larger pins. If this is the case, would anybody offer any design pointers to attach the probes? I am flexible to build any component libraries to change my PCB layout to whatever is necessary.
By lyndon
This will accept a 2mm probe. I don't know what the tolerance is, read the datasheet. However, they are chassis mount.

Can you use screw terminals? 1.6mm is pretty fat for a PCB mount socket. Alternately, you could make a plated through hole and solder in an eyelet.