SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By sven55
Hello,

I am doing a research project at school. The research project is studying relationships of a vibratory roller that compacts asphalt into potholes. I need to hook up a 3-axis accelerometer to the unit to measure accelerations in each direction.

The roller produces between 8000-8500 VPM (vibrations per minute), and about 1600 lbs of force. The frequency of the forced vibration is 141.67 Hz (1 RPM = (1/60)Hz). The G force, I think is about 2100-5000 Gs.
G force = 0.0511 x frequency squared x peak to peak amplitude (complete stroke length).
Frequency is in Hz. and amplitude is in inches.

My amplitude is an estimate of about 2" (2100 Gs) or 5" (5000Gs). 5 inches for the amplitude is an extreme max. Amplitude would probably be about 2".

So I need an accelerometer that can read the acceleration of the vibratory roller. Does anyone out there know if sparkfun has something capable of reading this? Also I am planning on hooking it up to a arduino. I do not have one yet, but it will probably have to be a mega for a higher voltage out put, is that correct?

Any help would be awesome. (I am a mechanical engineer and have not had a lot of experience with arduinos and electronics)

Sven