SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By salvazero
Hello,

I would like to make a metal detector strong enough to detect a piece of stainless steel tape in the cable that we make.
We make electronic/electric cable, for example, sometimes this cable is bad and from the 50,000 feet we make, we have to cut it 3 times (we call that splices) because cable had a cosmetic defect so we cut that part out, now, we solder these splices to make one single cable so we can put the final plastic cover to make it one single piece without setting it up 3 times because of the splices.
I was thinking to make the detecting coil around a 2" or 3" PVC pipe so the cable/wire goes through and it will be easy to detect. It has to be strong enough to detect a 1/4” inch tape with 0.004” thickness that we want to put around these splices so they can be detected, make a beep and turn a red light, connect it to an 110 volt.
It needs to detect on 18-8 stainless steel tape, no iron, no copper, no aluminum, no silver, no gold, There are so many tutorials to make one online but I need this one to be strong and able to detect it.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
By DanV
You are saying it needs to discriminate between stainless steel and the other materials:
"It needs to detect on 18-8 stainless steel tape, no iron, no copper, no aluminum, no silver, no gold, "
Where would those other materials come from?