SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By itolond
Hi forum,
look for some guidance here - Ill approach by scenario:

-Need circuit to control an 10W RGB LED (colour transition or cycling not needed)
-3 colours needed (white, Blue and amber only)
-Strobe support (separate strobe unit but circuit need to support strobe operation )
-12v DC input control.
-preferred: 3 x 12VDC inputs (only one will be operational at one time) based on input with drive colour to 10 W LED (strobe input via as well)
Driver for 12VDC to 10w included in unit

help appreciated
By rappa
I'm working on something similar. Sparkfun sells a picobuck https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13705
You can find replacement notebook chargers on ebay that will meet voltage/amp needs. I'm looking at a lenovo 18V/65W
Most RGB leds can support either .35A or .7A which picobuck can drive. You can drive multiple RGBs as long as power supply voltage - 2V > total voltage drop. You should be able to achieve your colors with PWM right?
By itolond
Hi Rappa

this will be a a vehicle - hence the 12 VDC supply. So your suggestion is to run one per colour on the LED R +G+ B - then adjust brightness of each vice a PWM controller to the PicoBuck?

I am guessing the pico buck can support LED in parallel ?