SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By PhilipD
Hi all,

I do quite a bit of welding and sometimes I have to weld in dark locations. Inside a box, a pipe, under a table and so on. I am getting on in years (61) an my eyes ain't quite the same. Even with an auto-darkening welding helmet I have difficulty in seeing where to start with the welding rod or the tig gun. I want to put a couple of bright LEDs on my helmet so I can see better in those dark corners. I think two of the Super Bright White LEDs will do the trick. Each of these has a forward voltage of 3.2 to 3.4. What size and number of batteries will I need to power these.

Thanks in advance,
Philip
By theropod
The LED's will be on the outside, right? As for your power source it will depend on how long you power the LED's and how much amperage they use. Maybe just slap the head of a small flashlight on your helmet with a modified switch and standard battery pack remote mounted.

RS
By PhilipD
Yes, the LEDs will be on the outside of the helmet. Or, rather drill two holes in the helmet and mount the LEDs in the holes. Then on the inside of the helmet I will glue a battery holder (9v), a switch and a resistor. I have tried several times to mount a flashlight on the side of the helmet using glue/tape/hose clamps with varying degrees of success. Usually I have to stick my head into a tight space and then knock the flashlight off plus it's hard to aim the flashlight. I'm thinking two bright white LEDs will do the trick. I don't want to "light the world" just give enough so I can strike an arc or position the TIG gun.