SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By polymorph
I've got some suggestions for this which I've placed in the Comments, but had no response. The "Whats on your mind?" and "feedback" email addresses both bounce.

So I'll copy-paste here and see if I can get some discussion going.

This is the project:
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/pr ... ital-pedal

Regarding the noise floor:

I’d really like to hear the noise. Is there a video clip of this pedal somewhere?

I see a noisy digital circuit suspended millimeters over a sensitive ADC/DAC. Use the header pin lengths and lift the Teensy much higher, and place a grounded shield between them. Make sure it isn’t shorting anything out. Even better, use a socket for the Teensy, that lifts it up and will help keep a ground shield from touching any pins. Tape, copper foil, tape.

Use shielded wire for the Input and Output. Twisted pair works, too.

Put 0.1uF bypass capacitors on the LM7805.

As much as possible, keep analog wiring away from digital circuits. Separate the digital and analog grounds as much as possible. I’d prefer seeing separate voltage regulators for digital and analog circuits.

Make that input buffer into an amplifier with gain control. You can add a resistor and anti-parallel LEDs to the output of that Op Amp to ensure it doesn’t go above 3Vpp. Then you can adjust the gain to just under the point where the LEDs blink while playing. Get rid of that ridiculous attenuator/voltage divider of R3 and R4. You want the maximum signal without clipping going into the ADC.

In fact, I see a microphone input on the Audio Board. Have you tried using that? I’d remove the 2.2k MICBIAS resistor and maybe put a larger capacitor (10uF?) across the 0.1uF capacitor going to pin 15 of the SGTL5000. A 500k audio taper volume control, and adjust to just under clipping. That removes one Op Amp from the circuit entirely.

You should have antialias filtering on the input. Otherwise, any noise above 22kHz gets translated down into the audio band. Use that Op Amp for good - turn it into a dual Op Amp lowpass filter, -3dB about 12 to 16kHz.

Don’t amplify the output, just buffer it. Why did you amplify it? A guitar amp is expecting from 100mV to 1.5V peak to peak, ie, guitar to line level. Not 9Vpp.
By ElectronWrangler
With your mods performed, how does it sound?

To add to the list, the control block sgtl5000 has a function called adcHighPassFilterFreeze(); that makes the input filter stop recalculating the DC offset. I've found this removes the digital (or "seeking") noise pattern from the input stream making the noise floor more white.

Audio shield noise is a low priority (under writing audio system blocks for my needs), but I am very interested in it. I've got an alternate layout of the codec as well, but have not had time to do a proper comparison between it and the audio shield.
By polymorph
I haven't done the mods, rather I'm just suggesting them. I don't have that particular audio shield.

I concur, making the noise more unstructured is good. That digital whining stands out. 120Hz hum would be better than the whine, at least it can be perceived as more powerful with the hum.