SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By doctorwho8
Hello!
I have both the Basic 8x2 Character LCD, and the SparkFun Serial Enabled LCD Backpack. I'd like to use the backpack to manage the Basic8x2 Character LCD.

The page for the display confirms that one will work with the other, but the page says,
"Note: This will work with our serial backpack, but it will not connect directly due to the different pin layout.".

That much I've also confirmed after examining the datasheets for it, several times since.

Has anyone gotten the two to work together? Advice please.
By MonsterBot
It's exactly what it sounds like. Nearly all 16x2 and 8x2 (and 8x1, 20x2, 20x4) character LCD's use to HD44780 controller so the libraries work without modification. All "will not connect directly" means is that the pin configuration prevents the serial backpack from mounting directly to the LCD board. In other words, you just have to run wires from each pin of the backpack to the character LCD.
By doctorwho8
MonsterBot wrote:It's exactly what it sounds like. Nearly all 16x2 and 8x2 (and 8x1, 20x2, 20x4) character LCD's use to HD44780 controller so the libraries work without modification. All "will not connect directly" means is that the pin configuration prevents the serial backpack from mounting directly to the LCD board. In other words, you just have to run wires from each pin of the backpack to the character LCD.
Hello!
Makes sense. More sense now then when I wrote it. So I need to match the pins on the serial backpack to the ones on the display.

Thanks.