SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Imadesignerd
Hello all.

I don't know if this should be here or in the Arduino section but I figured I would start here.

I have purchsed the WAV trigger and currently I am in the process of trying to get it to work. I am powering the Arduino via USB from my computer and the WAV trigger via a 12V DC wall transformer. I have loaded 10 WAV files on the card numbered 0001-0010 per the user guide. When I plug the WAV trigger in, the red LED blinks 3 times and then blinks once every few seconds. My arduino shows serial communication being sent, but I get no response from the trigger.

I have also tried pressing the button on the WAV trigger as well as shorting the two holes on sound 1 and I get no sound. I have had a friend who is knowledgeable with Arduino help me update all of the libraries and the sketch. I have wired the Arduino to the WAV trigger as per the specs in the sketch. Due to the fact that I am not getting sound when pressing the button, I feel like the problem is in the WAV trigger.

I bought my trigger late last year. Could it need a firmware update?

Any suggestions on where I should take the trouble shooting next?
By Imadesignerd
Thanks for the link DanV.

That is definitely some useful information. I am pretty sure my wav files meet those specifications. (16bit 44.1 stereo)

However, I think I may have stumbled on to another potential cause of the problem. I watched the video and noticed the person creating file names as 001,002... and it got me thinking about file names in general. According to the site the WAV trigger supports file names that start with 000 or 00. I think this might be something that was added in the latest version of the firmware, which I may not have on my board.

I am going to try and rename all of my files 001, 002 etc and see if that works.

Cheers!
By Imadesignerd
I don't mean to double post, but I wanted to add an update.

I renamed the files to 001, 002 and that didnt change anything. Then I tried running them through Audactiy, and that seemed to work. After doing that I loaded 5 sounds on the card and put it in the board. After pressing the button, I get sound! This is the farthest I have been able to get so far.

I then spent another 3ish hours tonight trying to get the arduino mega adk talking to the wav trigger. Copy pasting sketch after sketch. Can anyone help?

Thanks
By robertsonics
I assume you've seen this tutorial?

http://robertsonics.com/2015/04/25/ardu ... -tutorial/

The tutorial and example assume that you're using an UNO and the AltSoftSerial library. Since the Mega has hardware serial ports, you don't need AltSoftSerial but you do need to change the wavTrigger.h file to correspond to the serial port you are connected to. The file itself tells you how to edit it. What serial port are you using?
By Imadesignerd
I was using port 9 out of the MEGA, as it suggests for the UNO. Didnt know there were changes required. Honestly, it doesn't make much difference to me which port the serial signal comes out of because the mega has so many.

What sort of changes do I need to make to the wavTrigger.h file?

Sorry to be such a bother. =/ I am pretty new to all of this
By robertsonics
A serial port number is not the same as an Arduino pin number, and AltSoftSerial uses different pins on different versions of Arduino boards.

Since the Mega has available hardware serial ports (which the UNO does not) the easiest thing to do is to use hardware Serial1 and don't use AltSoftSerial.

Look at the Mega documentation to find out which pin is Serial1 TX, and look at the wavTrigger.h file to see how to edit it to use Serial1. It explains how to do this right in the file.