SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By mrmrzamany
Hi i just found this fantastic RF in your website !! https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10532

I have some questions ...
I'm working on a project using UAV, I want to place 4 of these RF (one in each side), because i want the UAV to go to the direction of the most received signal until it find the transmitter and locate it , say for example in one side the signal is 1 dB , and the other side (other receiver) read 10 dB, the UAV should go toward the 10 dB signal

1- first using the RF pair mentioned above, can i do that?
2- I didn't read if it has RSSI or not, does it has RSSI?
2- can I convert the output to TTL pulses or are they the same?
3- since I'll be using for transceiver, can i connect to them directional antenna to know from which direction the signal is coming, or I can do that using the transceiver only?
4- if you have other products that i can use let me know

thank you
By mrmrzamany
If you can just tell me if this RF has RSSI or not :)
By jremington
That receiver does not produce an RSSI value.

Your idea won't work. RSSI values are extremely unreliable indicators of distance, and highly directional antennas won't fit on a UAV.
By DakLak
Adding features often means adding weight and therefore it is preferable to make the enhancements on the ground.

This assumes you have considered GPS 'come home' which only require minor increases in UAV weight and added software.

If you wish a simpler system consider tracking-type or treasure hunt circuits (reversed) where the UAV hunts for a signal and then swings to starboard (right) or port (left) to achieve the highest signal strength. Lower frequencies offer longer distances - some countries permit 27MHz band operation which has great distance. VHF/UHF bands are good for precision but not distance.

The UAV can employ a trailing wire antenna to increase sensitivity.