SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By alphaniner
I recently got a pcDuino3 Nano and have had some issues with the SD card reader. The first problem occurred when I booted to the integrated OS and tried to format an SD card (4GB Class 4). The card was already partitioned, having been used recently in a BeagleBone Black, so I cleared the filesystem signature and partition table with wipefs and repartitioned with fdisk. So far so good. But when I tried to format the new partition with mkfs.ext4, the operation hung. I looked at the dmesg output and there were numerous call trace dumps related to the format. I removed the SD card and tried another one (also 4GB Class 4) and had no issues, so I figured the first SD card had just gone bad.

But a few things have occurred since to make me doubt that. One, the 'bad' SD card tested fine in two other ARM systems (successful format on one, boot to OS on another). Two, reading from and writing to the 'good' SD card (mostly just editing config files of installed OS) often hangs for a second on file open or write, and just navigating the fs on the SD card seems generally sluggish. Navigation and I/O on a SATA attached drive is as responsive as I would expect.

I'm just looking for some input on whether or not it's reasonable to return the pcD3 for replacement. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.