SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By ACarson
My laptop crashed and I had to get a new one and re-install all the programs back on it. I used to be able to connect to the Arduino Pro Mini with my other laptop just fine but this one is giving me fits trying to re-connect to the Arduino Pro Mini.

I've done just about everything to get a sketch to upload to the Arduino Pro Mini that I purchased from sparkfun. I have both FTDI breakout boards and USB to serial connection to the Arduino Pro Mini (Also purchased from Sparkfun). I've pushed the reset button prior to uploading and waited until it showed the upload size and still, It won't upload. I get an error code:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x63

and of course it goes through all 10 attempts and fails. I downloaded the FTDI drivers from the FTDI website and I reset the ports advanced settings in the control panel to "Set RTS on Close". I've attempted to upload the Blink sketch to 4 different Arduino Pro Minis and no luck with any of them. All get the same error. I know it might be something simple but I'm not sure what else to try. I'm running Windows 7 Pro and I have no error codes in my Device Manager. The ports show themselves to be working. I tested the sketch on an Arduino Uno and it uploads fine. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what I might try? Thanks.
By ACarson
Problem solved!
I wasn't aware the Pro Mini used the Nano settings which allows you to upload your sketch. I was able to switch the Arduino IDE settings to the Arduino Nano and it uploaded to the Arduino Pro Mini just fine. This seems kind of weird though because my other laptop had it set on Arduino Pro Mini settings and it ran just fine as well. SO if any of you have this problem and you're running Windows 7 X then you might try changing the settings to Nano in the 1.6.9 Arduino UI. It took me about 5 hours to figure this out so I think as I get older I'm getting slower...