SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Open source ARM Debugger
By reddish
Hello all,

I recently bought an ATSAM4E-XPRO development board. I want to use OpenOCD to interface with this board. The most important functionality at this point would be uploading / starting executable images; later on it will be useful to use GDB for remote debugging.

I am using Debian that includes OpenOCD v0.9.0. If I list supported atmel boards (/usr/share/openocd/scripts/board/atmel_*) I see a bunch of boards that appear close, but the atmel_sam4e_xplained_pro.cfg is not among them:

atmel_at91sam7s-ek.cfg
atmel_at91sam9260-ek.cfg
atmel_at91sam9rl-ek.cfg
atmel_sam3n_ek.cfg
atmel_sam3s_ek.cfg
atmel_sam3u_ek.cfg
atmel_sam3x_ek.cfg
atmel_sam4e_ek.cfg
atmel_sam4l8_xplained_pro.cfg
atmel_sam4s_ek.cfg
atmel_sam4s_xplained_pro.cfg
atmel_samd20_xplained_pro.cfg
atmel_samd21_xplained_pro.cfg
atmel_samg53_xplained_pro.cfg
atmel_saml21_xplained_pro.cfg
atmel_samr21_xplained_pro.cfg

I have two questions:

(1) I presume writing a config file for the board I have can be as simple as taking one of the existing configs and changing one or two things. What would be the best starting point, and what would I need to change?

(2) Once I can contact the board, what is a sequence of commands or script to transfer an executable image compiled on my host machine and start it?

I checked the manual but it is still a bit daunting (given that this is my first encounter with OpenOCD). So any help will be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Sidney
By reddish
Hi Kev,

It turns out that the SAM4E EK board configuration works on my XPlained Pro board as well. After compilation, to upload an image, I simply do this from the Linux command line:
Code: Select all
sudo openocd -f interface/cmsis-dap.cfg -f board/atmel_sam4e_ek.cfg -c "program image.elf verify reset exit"
So you may get lucky just trying a config file that is close to your board, as long as it lists the correct Atmel microcontroller model there's a decent chance it will work.

Regards Sidney