SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By reizvoller
Howdy!

Here's the hardware:

Windows 7 Professional 32bit ( latest updates and such )
RedBoard via USB
Arduino IDE

I have attached my RedBoard via USB ( the only method I currently have to connect to it ) to multiple machines using both command line ( via a Debian based linux machine ) and the GUI IDE ( Windows 7 32bit, Windows 10 64bit [separate machines]) and have come to the same errors each time :

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xf0

((((( and then it does it 9 more times )))))

Each machine provides the same error, I don't have another arduino to test against or else I would have :(

I would feel quite foolish if I found I made an error in /all/ these machines setting up the programmer.

I am just trying to Blink #13 :)

When I press the "Reset" button the #13 LED blinks twice which I believe means the bootloader is functional ( right? )

If there is any other information I can provide please let me know, I gave what I thought would be useful and would like to learn more. Thanks! :)

-Reiz
By reizvoller
Howdy,

For the sake of ensuring accuracy I have reformatted a machine. It's running Windows 10 with the latest stable release updates.

I have just installed ARDUINO 1.6.7 which includes the USB drivers I need ( I believe ) .

I uploaded a screen clipping of what I am seeing now. It's a different error than before which makes me further confused. Are those the correct drivers?

I appreciate your time and help regarding this. I have since moved to making analog circuits and my own logic boards , so that's a plus, but I want to now put those tools to good use with the arduino! lol

Hope we can figure this out. Please let me know what I can provide for you. Thank you again.

-Reiz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Ross Robotics
The top solution to that error is to burn the bootloader. I believe the Redboard uses optiboot bootloader. You can search Google for tutorials for this. You can also Google the error in the IDE and try some other solutions you find.
By reizvoller
Hello!

Thank you for the suggestion, I will look into burning the bootloader immediately. I did see that as a suggestion on other threads but I felt that I may have a different issue since my #13 LED blinks twice after the "Reset" button is pressed on the RedBoard it self. From what I have found I believe that means that the bootloader is functional ( or at least it believes it self to be functional ). Is this true?

Regardless learning how to burn the bootloader properly isn't a bad thing. I will post back with anything I find or if it solves my issue!

Thank you again.

-Reiz :)
By reizvoller
Greetings!

So I installed the Optiboot as per the instructions found on the github page ( https://github.com/Optiboot/optiboot ) which was simply copy/paste the github zip contents into the arduino directory under sketches.
Code: Select all

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.burnBootloader(SerialUploader.java:314)
	at processing.app.Editor.lambda$handleBurnBootloader$42(Editor.java:2754)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Error while burning bootloader.

Now I am getting what seems to be an error with Java. I am far from experienced with the Java environment and language... So... I've no idea. Thoughts?
By Ross Robotics
That looks like a Wondows 10 issue. And burning the bootloader is not just installing files on your computer. You do it through the IDE under "Tools>Burn Bootloader".
By reizvoller
Howdy,

Oh I did understand that bit :)

The error you see there is generated from the IDE when I tried burning the bootloader through it. I am just tossing a guess out there but should I perhaps uninstall java ( or try to ) and then reinstall a specific version?
By Ross Robotics
No, the IDE has it's own version of Java. If I were you, I would try to install (in a different location) an older version of the IDE. 1.5 or older.

Also it looks like you have the Microsoft drivers installed. Have you downloaded and installed Sparkfun's drivers? https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/ho ... k-and-easy. I have read alot of issues with these errors with Windows 10.