SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By DanV
rcomeau wrote:When I try to install Sparkfun ESP8266 Boards in Arduino, I get a message that says:
' Error downloading https://cnd.sparkfun.com/assets/learn_t ... -1.0.0.bz2'
Well, that link doesn't go anywhere.

try this link:
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/es ... okup-guide

I am also unsure what you mean by
install Sparkfun ESP8266 Boards in Arduino
- that phrase doesn't make sense - at least to me ...

I also don't know why installing this goes to a URL - maybe to get updated files?
By rcomeau
I don't no what this error means either, but that is what Arduino tells me when i try to install the Sparkfun ESP8266 Thing board in Arduino 1.6.5 , if you don't know what I am talking about then don't comment!
By Ross Robotics
Obviously he knows more than you. If you want to get help from someone else, you should be nice to everyone.
Arduino tells me
This doesn't make sense. So an electronics prototyping board tells you it can't download something??

Why don't you post a screenshot of where it says the error..
By rcomeau
ScreenHunter_02 Jul. 07 11.58.jpg
Ok let's try this again:

In Arduino 1.6.5:
1. File/Preferences/Additional Board Managers URLs:
'https://raw.githubusercontent.com/spark ... index.json'
just as it says in the hookup guide for the ESP82666 Thing.

2. Tools/Board/Board Manager:
All the way to the bottom of the list.
'Sparkfun ESP8266 Boards by Sparkfun Electronics'
when you select this and click install an error message appears across the bottom:
' Error downloading https://cnd.sparkfun.com/assets/learn_t ... -1.0.0.bz2'

This file does exist, at the address indicated, but the Board Manager rejects it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Valen
Any chance you had it installed before and later removed it, but now want to re-install it? I̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ I'm sure I can reproduce it.

Because I installed the Arduino IDE 1.6.5 yesterday brand new on my pc, and could successfully install the said ESP8266 boards package with it. Now today, just for testing your issue out, I removed the SparkFun ESP8266 boards package from the Boards Manager, and tried to reinstall it. Now I get the exact same error. So for me something is not cleaned up after uninstalling the board package. Restarting the IDE did not help.
By Valen
(I presume you are using Windows Vista/7/8(.1)/10. If not then I have no idea where Linux/Mac puts these files)

I can 'fix it' by renaming the Arduino IDE folder in Users\Appdata and restarting the IDE:
C:\Users\WINDOWSUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15

But this really reverts all preferences and settings back to default. (they are still on the c-drive because the folder was only renamed and then recreated by the IDE) So then you can re-install them again in the IDE. However I haven't narrowed it down to fix this URL. I mean, it's in:
C:\Users\WINDOWSUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15\package_sparkfun_index.json

But I don't know what the original URL should be, or what made it work the first time.
By Ross Robotics
I agree that the installation process could be causing issues. But I can also see other factors contributing.. I don't want to make any assumptions, but I will setup some experiments and get back to you as to what I find. It may take me a while since I have plans today, but will start on it this evening, EST.
By rcomeau
OK, I can rename the folder and get the ESP8266 boards to load. But since it starts back at ground zero, the sparkfun arduino boards must also be reloaded. When I try, the manager tells me there is a CRC error and the file is corrupt.
By Valen
rcomeau wrote:OK, I can rename the folder and get the ESP8266 boards to load. But since it starts back at ground zero, the sparkfun arduino boards must also be reloaded. When I try, the manager tells me there is a CRC error and the file is corrupt.
That happens with me too, I couldn't get it either. As it was a brand new installation then on my system either the CRC keys in the json files got changed, or the file that sparkfun has on it's servers is somehow corrupted/changed.