SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By sdad46
I am willing to use most any platform! I have 8 sensors that I currently have preconditioned through an existing differential, variable gain, non-programmable board. My output is 8 high level, single ended, analog. I would like to mux and digitize within a foot or so of the preamp and supply a serial stream to a location about 40 feet away, taking the curvy route. I have a Sabrent serial/usb adapter cable at my disposal. At the remote location I would like to use a piece of compatible software so that I can do data logging or some realtime observation. In my favor, the speed of the system can be quite slow, with only a couple of conversions per channel per second being needed. I could live with even a magnitude less than that.

Back at the a/d converter, a single supply of +12v would be best, but I will entertain a dc/dc converter if necessary. Resolution is good at 12 bits, will consider 10 bits if i must. I do not have need for a case, but location for standoffs would be necessary. I would appreciate easy termination for i/o. Because of distance between the a/d and the monitor location, usb is out, rf is in, so is rs-232. A baud rate 0f 4800 will more than cover my cps requirements. I am looking for a small (whatever that means) footprint, but I can stack vertically. The monitor computer uses linux as the os, but I do use virtualbox and have ms xp installed. I may be able to come up with other ms os's as well, if forced to.

I do not have much time available for programming so a functional, compatible software, integrating all components is very desirable.
And, of course, inexpensive wins.

What do you recommend?
By lyndon
The simplest cheap way I can think of is an Arduino with Firmata loaded (I haven't used it, but it looks pretty easy). That will give you 10 bits ADC.
Anything else cheap will require programming.

Next suggestion would be something like a MAX186 12-bit ADC with clocked serial I/O. You'd have to use drivers on the clock signals to get the difference, but programming should be minimal.

Is this a one-off or multiple unit solution? Reason I ask is that a very long time ago (late 90's) I used to manufacture I/O boards that connected via RS232 or 485. One of the boards was an A/D converter and I may still have unused dead stock. I can search if you were interested. Size may be a problem: they were 3"x5" form factor.
By sdad46
This for a 1 off. Putting together a solar system for my rv. Interface is in an outside basement compartment, I'll be gathering data inside. Your board sounds good, I can work it in somehow. You have some docs on the board? Maybe I can do a vb6 quickie to access. Interface 8 analog in? If no, any digital outs so I can rig up a mux?