SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By TekNisbeth
Hi All.

Can anyone please tell me: What the best setting, when I am saving the mp3 file?

I have some trouble whit making the track sounding right, on my new Mp3 trigger.
When I use the test file provided in the Troubleshooting guide, it sound fine.
But when I use my own the file, it sound strange. Left channel is ok, but the Right channel sound as if there was at heavy flanger-effect on. It sound fine on the computer, and no a other mp3-device.
I created the track in Audacity, and tested different setting when saving the track.

Hope someone can help me out.
Thanks

P.S. Sorry if I’m language or spelling is not correct. My native language is Danish, and I haven’t got the right technical terms in English.
By Ross Robotics
I am sure Robertsonics will answer soon, but have you read the manual and found out what settings to use when making the tracks?
By robertsonics
The MP3 decoding is handled by the VLSI VS-1053/63 and it should handle just about anything. The only restriction I'm aware of is that the PSoC can sometimes have hard time keeping up with bit rates above 192kbps, and so the MP3 Trigger is only spec'd up to that rate. If Audacity defaults to 250kbps, that could be a problem.

The other thing I always suggest is to not save any meta-data tags (album artwork, artist info) which, because it's stored at the beginning of the file and it gets fed to the VS-1053/63 decoder, can cause extra silence at the start of the track. But that wouldn't cause your problem.
By TekNisbeth
Thanks for the quick replay.

I started out read the manual, scanned the forum, updated the firmware to v2.54 (and tested that everything is connected the right way) even before asking in her. :-)

When exporting the sound in Audacity I have the following option:
(Translated as best I can from Danish)

---------------------------------------------------------------
Bitrate: Fixed setting; Variable; Averaged; Constant
Quality: 8-320 kbps
(Variable speed: standard; fast (Only available whit bitrate set to: Fixed setting or Variable))
Channel: collected stereo; stereo
---------------------------------------------------------------

The quality, as I understand, must be 192 or lower.
But I can’t see if there is anything specified for the rest of the settings. Maybe I just missed it.

I have uploaded the file whit the first setting I tried out, but I have tested out different settings whit the same result.
For this track I chose: Constant, 128 kbps, Stereo.
http://we.tl/4hMo8i8HPg

The Mp3 trigger card I having the trouble whit, I have just purchased June 9th 2015.
I have tester the sound track on some Mp3 Trigger we got almost 2 years ago, and they work whit no problem. I haven’t updated the firmware on the old Mp3 trigger.

I’m really glad for all the help. Thanks.
By robertsonics
The track plays perfectly on my MP3 Trigger and I see no problems with it. Beginning to suspect you could have a bad unit.

My MP3 Trigger is not a new one, so perhaps the next step is to contact SparkFun tech support and have them try your track on a new unit from their stock to rule out a new problem.