SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By ___Gourd____
Hi,

We're submitting this to both the Adafruit and Sparkfun forums.

We have a Redboard, and were just testing out our Adafruit Breakout GPS v3 using the sample code "echo" when we noticed that it was outputting garbage. Here's a screenshot:

Now, I admire its enthusiasm but it's not exactly what I was expecting. We did notice that if we press the reset button with TX and RX in pins 1 and 0, respectively, it will output some of the expected code, so I know the device is working.

Why exactly would this be occurring? Would it be a setting in the code that we may have forgotten to edit? We're noobies, so bear with us.

Thanks in advance!
usually garbage display when using serial means the serial configuration doesn't match - baud rate, parity, data bits, stop bits.
But, are you using USB communications? I would think that doesn't apply - not sure...
By Ross Robotics
Yep, garbage output usually means that your settings are not correct. Baud rate in the serial monitor, or in code.. I am not familiar with the Adafruit GPS, but what pins are the RX and TX pins on? 0 and 1? If it's on those pins, you won't get anything on the serial monitor as there are 2 devices trying to communicate over the same bus. Serial doesn't work like that. You may try and use softwareSerial to deploy another Serial connection..