SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Mr.Paul
I'm trying out the SEN-12617 wheel encoder with a Magician Chassis. I've hooked up the output to an Uno R3, with on on pin 7, and one on pin 8. The interrupt routines just check for 'high', and increment a counter if more then 5 ms has passed since we were last interrupted. They seem to work fine.

The problem: When one of the wheels rotates, i get counter ticks on that wheel only. When the *other* wheel rotates, I get a little 'bleed' into the first wheel, basically about 10%; so if it ticks off 100, the other wheel will get about 10 (very roughly, it varies). Power is accurate to 5V and lots of juice available. I hooked up the two outputs to a (cheap) scope.

Neither wheel turning:
ADS00004.png
Note that the 'idle' Vout is only 3.44V, and there is some noise. This seems to alway be the case.

Wheel 1 turning:
ADS00002.png
Note that when a wheel is turning, you get like 4.88V P-to-P, which is kind weird; the high is higher then idle. There is some noise on the other channel, 0.32V, meaning the lows are getting very close to 3V

Wheel 2 turning:
ADS00003.png
Less noise on this channel.

Now, sure, the 'off' channel is low-ish on the voltage. And there is some noise; but you wouldn't think it is still low enough to trigger a pin change interrupt. Or maybe the spikes down are out of the bandwidth of the scope, but still enough to trigger the interrupt?

Any thoughts on solutions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.