SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By RiiC
Hi all,
Is there any way to make curve route / trace lines in eagle pcb smooth?

Please see attached image, some edges are straight, while curves edges are rugged.

Thanks in advance
IC_etch_img.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Ross Robotics
Photoshop. But I don't see a reason why rough edges would make a difference..
By InactiveUser001
What do your Gerbers look like when the screen shows this?

I'd also be more concerned about the middle track pad entry than the edges referred to -I suspect that they would actually be smooth in Gerber land.
By Kamiquasi
I think the term you might be looking for is anti-aliasing; Eagle doesn't anti-alias when exporting to bitmap formats. You'd have to either export to one of the vector formats and import that, or export at a much higher DPI, then scale it down in your graphics editor; note that this may make orthogonal lines a bit blurry as well without proper subpixel hinting in the graphics editor.

Unless it's just for display purposes, you wouldn't want things anti-aliased, though. If you were to print a bitmap with anti-aliased edges, the printer will have to use various levels of dithering.. which is not what you want when printing for e.g. home-made PCBs.
By Ross Robotics
I also just noticed that the traces are not technically connected to the pads. Eagle is going to throw errors when running the DRC.
By charlespax
RiiC wrote:Is there any way to make curve route / trace lines in eagle pcb smooth?
Hi, RiiC. Did you get around to making gerber files and viewing them? Sparkfun has a tutorial on now to export gerber files. Then you can use this online gerber view to look at them. Also, if you upload a .zip file of your project, me or someone else can take a look at what you have.